Chapter Three

Popularity Passed Down

Chapter Three- Take my Advice

When the bell rang, I was the first one out of the classroom. I made it out but I bumped into something hard, yet squishy. Why is the wall so squishy? After realizing that this hard-squishy thing was a person I looked up. Worry was written all over my eyes and in return all I see is pure hate. Maybe, I don't know. All I know is that I was never good at reading people's emotions. Should I say sorry or should I just get out of his arms. After realizing my mistake, I quickly pushed myself out of his gasps and ran for my life. LITERALLY.

I cannot believe I ran into Jacob of all people! I would rather have run into Marcel. At least with Marcel, I know I'll be alive to see tomorrow. Jacob will never let this go. All the jokes he will come up with. I AM RUINED. But, if I tell Rodrick and Marcel. NO! How dare I think like this! I made a promise to myself and here I was about to break it.

"Kathrine?"

I turned my head, and to top off my brilliant luck today I see Marcel sitting on the desk. I think I jinxed myself. I guess I was thinking too hard to notice him in the hallways.

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah, just stressing that's all."

"YOU. CAN'T. BE. STRESSING. This is your freshman year! Plus, it hasn't even been a month, you can't be backed up on homework yet. I'm not even backed up on homework yet."

"Right, gotta run, see you at home!"

"Run where? I have your house keys, moms not home to answer the door, and it's pouring outside. Wouldn't want your school books to get wet."

How did he get my keys? I hate him so much right now. I just want to slap him.

"You don't want to be seen near us because you're afraid that someone will be using you to get to us."

"Marcel. How did you even?"

"That's not important right now."

Marcel and I stayed in the classroom for about another hour. By that time, it stopped raining so we walked home. I left first so it didn't look suspicious. I waited by the old park until Marcel came. Once he did we walked home until Rodrick's car pulled up.

***

It's been a month since school started and no one knows my secret yet. Every day is a challenge, and it's only getting harder and harder.

"Kathrine, I need to tell you something."

"Okay, what's up?"

"Look, I can't keep hiding you from the whole school. It's getting tough. I promise I won't say anything, but sooner or later people will know."

"I know, but I'm scared."

"I have a story for you."

October 2009

"Marcel, hurry up we have to get to school!" Rodrick yelled.

Marcel grabbed his bag and slowly made his way downstairs. He didn't want to go to school, not after what happened yesterday. Staying at home wasn't an option anymore. He used the sick card way too many times. After finally making it to the car, the Lane family drove away. The first stop, Kathrine's elementary school. Once she was dropped off Mrs. Lane took the others to their school.

"See you boys later!" Veronica said.

"What's wrong Marcel?" Rodrick asked.

"Nothing's wrong, I'm just tiered and backed up with homework."