Prologue

Prologue

"Your mother has been diagnosed with a rare form of lung cancer. I'm sorry." My body went into shock. I stood there unable to move, unable to breathe. I narrowed my eyes at the tall, sullen nurse standing there. Did she just say my mom has cancer? No. She must have the wrong person.This couldn't be happening. No not now. She can't have cancer. I felt like I was in a horrifying dream I couldn't wake myself out of no matter how hard I tried. No, not my mom. This was the woman who can survive through anything we're talking about here. My mother had gone through a rough child hood, an abusive marriage and a horrifying divorce, she could pull through this. She could pull through anything. She can pull through this and then everything could go back to normal right? We could just go back to that tiny, little house of ours and scream our heads off at each other like we normally do? Yes I didn't get along with my mother. What teenager did? But that's not important now. What's important is that the only person I have left that gives somewhat of a shit about me is now dying of cancer. Just the thought of being left all alone in this horrible world made me want to give up on life itself. I wanted to give up but I also just wanted to cry. I wanted to cry but I had to stay strong, for her and for myself. Even a single teardrop running down my face made this situation real for me, like I actually cared. I didn't want to cry, I didn't want to accept that this was real. Besides I've never cried in front of anyone in my life. Even throughout all of the shitty times I've gone through in my life I've kept my feelings all bottled up left with no one knowing how I really felt. In fact I couldn't think of anything good in my life. I felt like my life was slowly wasting away to nothing.