Find A Way Anastasia

I was rushed to my grandmother's residence late last night. The rumors had already spread throughout the city that Anastasia was present. I'd seen Dimitry only once in passing. He was with Vlad in the entrance and I was sided by security and a few new dressers. I wanted so desperately to reach out to him and apologize, for everything, but I had been rushed along.

Now I sit at my mirror contemplating my future. Have I made the right decision. My door opens in my mirror I can see Nana. I hide my sadness and give her a huge smile. Coming up behind me she sets a crown upon my head. I let my façade fall. Nana notices right away. Moving from behind me she slides onto the bench beside me. She holds my hands in her own. "Press and fellow Russians are all going to take a look at you and ask some questions." I nod. It was all happening so fast, too fast. There's no time to think about it now. I allow Nana to take my arm and lead me towards my bedroom door. All that matters is that we are together now. I find my smile and put it on as we make our way through the palace and down the grand stairs. 

In the foyer are Vlad and Lily. I strain to see if Dimitry is among them but he is not. A photographer awaits instead. Lily smiles to us and introduces her friend as she ushers us into the throne room. It's a sweeping room fringed in gold and a soft pink. It reminds me of home. A few photos are flashed a few smiling, a few regal ones. When the photographer is satisfied with his work he bids us farewell. Nana leaves my side and greets Lily and Vlad reminiscing about the past. I have nothing to say on this matter so I retain my spot on the throne Nana had sat in moments before. My mind wanders back to it's saddened state. Everything melds together, the good, the bad, all of it. 

When I find myself in my present state again Vlad and Lily have left. Nana stands and studies me. "Now where is your young man?" She begins.

"He's not my young man." I say. It was the truth, Dimitry doesn't belong to anyone, he never did and he never will.

"It's not plain to you that he loves you?" I find her eyes now. It was plain that I loved him, but it was clear that he could not bring himself to be that for me. 

"He is not my young man, Nana." She seems surprised by this.

"When he refused the reward for finding you, I thought, Anastasia has found herself another kind of prince. One of character, not birth." 

My heart stops. "Dimitry refused the reward?

"You are Anastasia. He said that was his reward." She pauses a moment. "You have made this the happiest day of my life, Anastasia. Make sure it will be yours as well, Anya." She caresses my cheek with a gloved hand. "We will always have each other no matter what you decide." She kisses me on the forehead before turning to leave. I'm left alone, in a large room. Looking around I realize that this would be my life, no adventure, loneliness. I get up and start for the door. I stop. If I left there would be no hope for those in Russia. The Romanoffs would truly be gone. But even if I did stay, would I even dare to claim Russia, put my people through another war, one we would not win. The history in the room is suddenly overwhelming. I reach for the door handle. Putting my ear against the ancient wood I listen out. Everyone is laughing, engaging in conversation. I step away from the door and turn to the back. I follow a long hallway until I make my way back to the main part of the house. I can hear the festivities echoing, the sounds follow me until I've escaped through the back door. 

It's cold outside, but nothing compared to what I've been through. To truly understand what I want to do there is only one place where I can do that for myself. That place is only a few blocks away. My grandfather's bridge comes into view as I think through my options. Seeing it again causes my mind to whirl. I can feel them all here with me. Reaching the railing I feel my skirts blow against the back of my legs. The sun was starting to set, the lights returning to their glistening state over the river. I close my eyes and just let everything wash over me.