Meant to Be

"Anya... Where will you go?"  Vlad asks from my side while Dmitri hangs his head off in a corner in the same room we'd shared a moment a mere night ago. 

"It doesn't matter it was my life you played with. telling me I was someone else. Letting me believe I was." I toss two dresses I'd brought with me into my bag and then turn to the vanity. I let my hair fall into a braid tossing the expensive pins across the top. I had been living a lie, the nice things suddenly made me repulsed. Turning back to my bed I pick up a beautiful shawl that's been laid across the covers. "What's this?" I ask turning to the boys clutching it tightly.

"I bought it for you." Dmitry says sadly. I hate seeing him hurt. I soften for a moment before tossing it back at him.

"I won't have anymore charity from anyone here, not you or Lily... or anyone." There is one thing I've known for certain for a very long time, and that was that I could take care of myself.

"Where are you going?" This time it's Dmitry asking the question, he's no longer sad. He's now red from anger stepping from the shadows.

"Anywhere but here!" I  says storming towards the door. They deserved an explanation, no matter how rigid. I stop and turn back to the two of them. "You thought I'd take money from that poor old woman? Her life has been nothing but pain and suffering since her family was murdered, is that not her punishment without me torturing her further?"

"Anya..." The hurt in Dmitry's voice has returned. I freeze when he gently grabs my arm. He's caught my eye. I'd dreamed all day of having in my life, I have that opportunity now... I rip my arm from his grasp. How could I welcome him after this game he'd played with me for weeks upon weeks. He pulls out the music box sets it on the table beside the bed and without another word he turns and leaves the room. 

Suddenly my outburst feels foolish. I was either Anastasia or I wasn't. I feel myself step backward and fall upon the bed. I stare at the music box, I had felt a connection to it, a connection to many many things on this journey, I couldn't just ignore that. I turn to Vlad now, panicking, at a loss for words. "I don't want to lose to him." Is all I can muster. He rests a hand on my shoulder.

"I'll speak with him... Just promise you'll still be here when we return. We're all in this together now, Anya." I nod slowly turning towards the window at the lights gleaming in the dying sun.

There's footsteps. I turn ready to pour my heart out. "Your Imperial Highness." I gasp out jumping to my feet at the sight of her.

"I believe history demands we play this game till the end." She says, standing royally straight, clutching her cane in front of her.

"Please be seated." I say pulling the divan away from the foot of my bed. 

"There's no need." She says, holding up a hand. "I shall be brief. Who are you?"

 I take a deep breath. "I believe I am the youngest daughter-"

"Oh, spare me my family history! It's in every bookstore along the Seine. And anyone can read it." She says crossing in front of me.

"I didn't think you'd be so cruel." Retrieving some of my ill emotions from earlier. 

"I'm old and impatient. Kindness has become a luxury." She says turning back to face me.

"My Nana was the most loving woman imaginable..." I say sitting upon the divan without permission.

"That was before they murdered everyone she loved." The Dowager sits beside me now, a soft side becoming visible. 

Suddenly I feel a very strong emotion, something I can't ignore. "Her bosom smelled like oranges when she hugged me." I recall it now, the last night she hugged me, gave me the music box. I eye the glorious thing on the table and think of Dimitry.