The French Have it Down to an Art

Oh how it glimmers and glows. From up on the hill it looked like a blanket of stars and now from the perspective of the streets it looks even more promising. We have traveled into the heart of the city now just as the night has come to life. Thanks to Vlad's extensive knowlege and previous engagements in the city we were able to find a place owned by a previous friend who was all too kind to let us stay in his empty rooms for the night.

I must say that the place is a little overwhelming. I'd been given my own little room with a balcony. The boys, as far as I knew, had been given the rooms on either side of me. I drop my bag on the bed and head outside. Opening the French doors lets in all the sights of the Paris evening. Across the way there's a lovely dining hall, from which music and laughter flow out of. I grip at the iron rail wanting so desperatly to hop down and immediatly join in the fun, but I don't look all that tidy. I sigh. Tomorrow would be the start of something better. I turn back to my room all intentions to head straight to bed, the adventure of the city would have to wait. I've gone to pull out my night gown when I hear a tap on the door. I open it to find a young woman holding a bag, a bundle of fabrics, and of all things shoes. She comes in without explaining too much only saying that I was to meet Vlad and Dmitri downstairs in a moment. She goes right to work drawing me a hot bath in a tub and laying out the bundle that transformed into a beautiful gown when it was laid across the bed. She urges me to get in as she meticulously takes out the contents of her bag and strews them across the vanity next to the bed.

I'd couldn't remember the last time I felt clean. She'd left all sorts of soaps and shampoos for me on the floor next to the tub. I take my time in washing my hair and rinsing. I wait until the water has started to cool before I attempt at getting out. I put on the robe the woman left out for me which is softer than anything I'd ever felt in my life.

Once I'm out I'm coaxed to the vanity where my hair is dried and styled into the finger curls i'd seen worn by nearly every woman out on the street. She also messes with some powder on my cheeks and some lipstick. She was rather quiet, but sweet, and I must say that she's done a wonder on me. When she's satisfied she grabs my hands and pulls me to stand. She spins her hand urging me to twirl. When I do I see that she's beaming. Very happy that I was able to connect with this woman without speaking much I step into my shoes as she collects her things back into her bag. "Je vous remercie." I say thanking her as we part at my door. She smiles again. When she disappears around the corner I let out a breath. I'd been cautious to say anything. I need to let that go. I'm not in Russia anymore, this was France, there was no need for fear here.

I straighten up now heading down the stairs back into the lavish lobby I'd entered less than an hour ago. The boys are outside just beyond the open lobby doors with their backs turned from me. I smooth down my dress before strutting outside. "Well?" I ask.

The two boys turn to me also donning new suits. I'm looking down a little nervous so I don't see their immediate reactions but I hear Dmitri udder a 'wow'. When I look up he's offered me a flower which I take graciously and wrap my arm around his.

"Just a few gifts from an old acquaintance of mine." Vlad says before stepping out onto the street. Dmitri and I smirk at each other wondering just who that acquaintance could be before following him. The sun had completely dissipated and the streets had come to life. Couples walk arm in arm and there's entertainment at every corner. There's artists, dancers and musicians everywhere, being as loud and outgoing as they can. I beleive that both Dmitri and I are a little overwhelmed by it all but it's a good change for us.

We walk a little longer down the stone streets laughing and enjoying the moment before Vlad stops us short in front of a club. Much like the resteraunt across the street from the hotel this place's character radiates from the windows. Vlad suddenly breaks from us calling out the name of his lover.