Chapter 6 ~ Magnetron Gets an Earful

"Cerebelli bent down to return his squirming dog to the floor.  Standing, he smoothed his jacket and grumbled, "I would not follow Boileau out of a burning armory.'"

"You cannot be serious!"

Leonardo Cerebelli had been listening surreptitiously to our conversation and erupted in sudden uncharacteristic fulmination.  "Boileau?  The man is deranged—incompetent!  On what grounds does this imbecile presume to press us into service as private detectives for well-connected potentates?"

Coburn and Satyros, their pageant upstaged, gathered around Valkusian and Cerebelli, who had both stood and squared off like dueling pistoleers.  Baron, Cerebelli's faithful miniature schnauzer, directed an indignant barking at Valkusian.

Valkusian responded in measured tones in an attempt to suppress the rising tensions.  "Boileau believes the subject of our investigation may be supernatural," he said, "and indeed, the perpetrator in question has confounded British police for decades.  That President Grant is his latest victim is sheer happenstance."

Cerebelli, the brilliant engineer and philanthropic socialite, stood stock still in his tailcoat and cummerbund, his head thrown back.  He kept silent as Valkusian spoke, but left no doubt by his expression that he was unconvinced.  He picked up his bellowing schnauzer and soothed him back to silence.  "Be that as it may, Valkusian, I do not care to be governed in any sense by the likes of Boileau," he said.  "You of all people can understand this, as you have witnessed his treachery with your own eyes!"

"Yes, of course, Leonardo, I cannot disagree.  However, the language of the Hogalum Society Charter is such that he retains significant authority."  Valkusian removed his pipe from his mouth and held it in both hands, studying its intricate carved details, swallowing hard before continuing.  "Furthermore, he believes that the Hogalum Society is in need of a new leader."  He withdrew his gaze from Cerebelli and regarded each of us in turn as he spoke.  "He believes that we drift aimlessly absent the adroit command of Dr. Hogalum.  And, he has chosen himself as the doctor's indisputable successor."

A chorus of angry protests rose, but Valkusian continued speaking in low tones, forcing to quiet our outrage and listen to him.  "Gentlemen, please understand: before his tragic descent, Boileau maintained an adept control of the Hogalum Society, as the doctor himself was frequently preoccupied and could not be bothered by pedestrian particulars, you see?  Boileau established this organization at Dr. Hogalum's side.  It was he who wrote the Charter, he who approved my membership in this body, and yours as well, Leonardo.  You mustn't forget that!"

Cerebelli set his jaw and drew his face into a withering scowl.  "Yes, and it was he who damn near got both of us killed.  I assure you I will never forget that."  He bent down to return his squirming dog to the floor.  Standing, he smoothed his jacket and grumbled, "I would not follow Boileau out of a burning armory."

"Indeed," agreed Valkusian, adopting the tone of a professor amused by the imperviousness of a particularly obtuse pupil.  "But the Charter he wrote confers upon him a right of ascension."

"Then to hell with the Charter!" cried Cerebelli.  The men remained opposite one another like jousting adversaries, Cerebelli, proud and uncompromising, and Valkusian, world-weary and wise.  Eventually, Cerebelli's shoulders began to slump.  "Damn it, Valkusian!  What do you propose we do now?"

"I propose we put this gasbag down!" exclaimed Coburn.  The others turned to look at Coburn, who was looking out through a porthole.  He turned to face us and then clarified.  "The Luftigel! We need to land this crate before we end up in Belgium!"

We scrambled to our posts.  Our journey had been considerably shortened owing to a brisk tailwind, and we had overshot our target.  It was dusk, and a heavy murk obscured much of the Channel, but Coburn was a superb pilot under the worst of circumstances.  I made my way down the corridor to the engine room, and as we came about and began our descent, I caught a glimpse of something through another porthole.  I squinted and strained to regain my focus on the impossible apparition.  Suddenly, it appeared once again!