The Howler

Authors note- thank you so much for continuing to read my story, it means a great deal! If you have any critiques on the story thus far please comment them so I know how to improve. (If any of you actually like the story it would be great to hear that too) Don't forget to vote :) 

The howler:

Albus Dumbledore settled himself in the high-backed chair behind his desk, attempting to conceal his amusement. He peered though his half moon spectacles at the small first year stood before him, his blue eyes sparkling. The boy had a surprisingly commanding presence for a short 11 year old, and on his face wore a determined look.

"I'm sorry professor, but I just don't see a valid reason as to why 1st years can't play quiditch for their houses. It shouldn't matter the age of the player if their better than the older ones! You should at least let them try out! Sir" he added as an afterthought.

Professor Dumbledore chuckled. "Mr Wood, the rules have been the rules since the opening of Hogwarts itself, Why ever should we change them now?"

"Well rules can sometimes be wrong Sir" he paused wondering if his headmaster would be angered by this comment. Albus merely raised an eye brow so Oliver took this as sign to continue. "Take the Gryffindor team for instance, Charlie Weasley is an excellent seeker but he can't win the match alone and allowing first years to play would light a fire under some of the other players if they thought their spot was at risk, even if none of them make the team." 

Dumbledore sighed deeply. He tried to convey an understanding look towards the small boy. "perhaps you should have spoke to Professor McGonagall about your thoughts?"

"Ah well erm.. I did sir" the boy blushed slightly "she wasn't erm... too pleased to tell the truth professor". At that moment, a tawny Owl swooped though the open window and dropped a red envelope swiftly onto the desk before taking flight once more. 

"Ah" Professor Dumbledore sighed " I must see to that immediately. For now Mr Wood I would recommend you put this idea from your mind and simply enjoy watching Quiditch, there's lots to learn by watching after all! You will soon be a second year before you know it" There was a sense of finality to his tone and the boy knew the meeting was over. Looking somewhat crestfallen, he made his way out of the of the circular office, his brown eyes wondering curiously towards the red envelope. 

Albus surveyed the envelope down his long crooked nose and read the name 'ARABELLA FIGG'. His pulse quickened and his stomach dropped. Please say nothing more has happened.  With surprisingly steady hands he opened the Howler. 

"ALBUS ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!! REMOVE THE POTTER BOY FROM THE DURSLEYS CARE BY THE END OF THE DAY OR I SHALL GO OVER THERE AND TAKE HIM MYSELF!" Mrs figgs yells made the delicate silver instruments around the room rattle on their tables. The sound echoed around the office and down the corridors of Hogwarts.

THIS HAS GONE ON LONG ENOUGH, I HAVE EXPRESSED MY CONCERNS OF ABUSE SEVERAL TIMES AND I REFUSE TO BE IGNORED ANY LONGER!

YOU SAY HE IS SAFE THERE? HE WONT SURVIVE LONG ENOUGH TO MAKE IT TO HOGWARTS! HE'S HALF STARVED DUMBLEDORE! AND LAST NIGHT ALL I COULD  HERE FROM THE HOUSE WAS SCREAMING WHILST ALL THE LIGHTS IN THE STREET START FLASHING ON AND OFF! 

PLEASE, YOU HAVE TO SAVE THE POOR CHILD! 

I look forward to seeing your next steps regarding this matter. I swear Albus, if you don't do something, I will." The red envelope fell to the floor, bursting into flame and curling into ashes. 

Professor Dumbledore was stunned, his wrinkled face paled under the glow of the sun. He must act now. He paced around his room, extracting memories as he walked, placing them into the swirling pensive. Finally, he grabbed a handful of floo powder and threw it into the flames of the fire. "Sirius, Remus, Please come to my office regarding the well being of Mr Harry Potter" 

Within the minute, two figures emerged from the emerald green flames. The taller of the two men rushed towards Albus "is Harry okay? What's happened". Concern was etched across the mans handsome face and despite looking fitter and healthier than when they last met, Albus could see his grey eyes were still deadened by the memory of Azkaban. Dumbledore motioned for them both to sit down. The pensive sat on the desk between them. With a sigh, he raised his wand and prodded the silvery substance with its tip. The noise of the howler echoed and bounced off the walls of the office once again. 

When the letter finished, Sirius jumped up with a start. "Sirius where do you think your going?" Said the other man.  His light brown hair was specked with grey and he looked older than dumbledore had ever seen him. 

"I'm going to rescue my Godson!"

Dumbledore raised his hand,"Sirius you need to wait-" 

"I did my waiting!" Sirius spat "SIX YEARS OF IT, IN AZKABAN!" 

"I understand Sirius but if you take the child now he won't be safe"

"SAFE?" Sirius looked into Dumbledore's strikingly blue eyes, shaking with fury "You heard what old Figgy said! Harry has clearly not been safe for 6 years! You may be able to close your eyes to that but I for one cannot leave any child to suffer like he has." 

Dumbledore broke sirius' gaze and looked down solemnly. "I have made a grave mistake" Sirius scoffed "you don't say?" Dumbledore raised his arm to quiet him "I'm sorry. I thought I was protecting him, whilst he lives in the house where his mothers blood resigns Voldemort cannot touch him if and when he returns." He took a deep calming breath " the moment we remove him the charm will break  and we will all be vulnerable"

"I don't bloody care dumbledore you need to figure it out! I'm not leaving him there" his voice cracked and Sirius ran his shaking fingers through his messy black hair, turning away from his old headmaster, breathing hard. He should of known harry wasn't going to be looked after at the Dursleys, Lilly had always told him her sister hated all things magic. He shouldn't have let Hagrid take harry that night, he should have protected the boy instead of going after Pettigrew, if he hadn't- oh god if he hadn't-

"If I may Professor?" Remus began breaking the icy silence Dumbledore gave a curt nod. "I suggest moving Harry into Sirius' house immediately. I'll move in too and we can look after Harry together, we can use the Fidelius charm with you as our secret keeper" 

Dumbledore agreed, he had already considered this to be the best option. "Sirius please sit down" Sirius obliged but his face didn't regain any colour and he was eying dumbledore with disgust. "In doing this, harry will be safe in the short term until I can put more protection charms in place. However we cannot simply take the boy without the ministry's okay, I shall alert the Minister immediately but you will have to be willing to become the boys legal guardians" both men agreed without hesitation. "Will you be living at Grimmauld Place?"

"No I have a property in the country, not too far from the Burrow, it's much more child friendly" Sirius replied, trying to contain his relief. He was going to save him, he was finally going to see his godson.  With a flick of his wand, Dumbledore summoned adoption papers and instructed Sirius and Remus to get signatures from the dursleys. 

"Finally, you must promise not to harm Vernon of Petunia Dursley. Yes I'm serious, you can't risk the public finding out about this, Harry is much safer if only a few know of this situation. Meaning for now no authorities, wizard or muggle, can find out. I promise they will pay in due course but until then there's nothing you can do. Do I have your word?" 

Sirius gave a low growl but both men nodded reluctantly. "Your word Sirius?"  Sirius gave a cold hard glare.

"My word" 

All three men rose from their chairs simultaneously and made their way towards the fire. "And" dumbledore began, Sirius and Remus turning back to face their old Professor. "Once you get him, bring him here to the castle and I'll have Madam Pomfrey see to him, I'm not sure what state he will be in" 

With that, Sirius and Remus stepped into the flames and were gone in an instant.