Chapter 6: Awakening.

After the fight against Vanitas, Sora, Riku, and most of the crew were resting and recovering before they set out for the Land of Departure. Riku would occasionally check in with princess Kairi through the door and would talk with her for almost hours on end, and ended up becoming somewhat acquainted with her. Riku learned that she grew up on a small island that grew star shaped fruit before she started living in Radiant Garden. He even learned that Kairi loves to garden and tend to all the flowers around the castle in Radiant Garden. Riku had even told her that he used to live on an island when he was younger, and that he was a fisherman before he became a sailor. The two learned quite a bit about each other over the past few days.

However, when Riku wasn't chatting with the princess, he was at Sora's side. Telling him about the dreams he had been having and that he can't wait to hear his voice again. He missed Sora almost as much as Donald and Goofy did, who were with Sora almost as much as Riku was. 

The blond nurse from before would also chat with Riku while taking care of Sora. Riku soon learned that her name was Namine, and found out that she had a talent for drawing, often showing her sketches and doodles to Riku when she was finished with tending to Sora. She was quite the artist and could have done it professionally if she so wanted. But the bashful girl kindly opposed and said that she's not nearly as good as some of the other painters and artists at the time. Riku objected and told Namine that she's just as good if not better than any of the painters out there now. The blond smiled thanked Riku for his kindness.

The cut Riku was dealt slowly began to heal and he was often cared for by Aerith, who had also fixed up his shirt and had folded it neatly and placed it in front of his cell door for him to find when he awoke that morning.  Aerith was a nice girl who had talked to Riku and had told him how she had met captain Sora. Her, as well as 5 of her friends were victims to a pirate attack that destroyed their home but was stopped by Sora, who had defeated the enemy pirate, and offered to take them in as part of his crew. Riku asked Aerith who her friends were and she responded by saying that they're all part of the crew and each have a different job. Cloud was a very close friend to Aerith, he was a gunner who took care of the cannons and knew how to properly use them, as well as Yuffie and Tiffa who were also gunners, Cid was a carpenter who also helped fix up the Excalibur before and after battles, and Leon was a boatswain in charge of the anchor and helped keep the ship afloat, he was also yet another gunner when the battles were rough. Riku was somewhat surprised that he hadn't met them yet after being on the ship for so long.

Over the past few days Riku had offered to help around the ship, fixing the Excalibur up after the beating it had taken during its previous fight. Riku had also gotten to know Donald and Goofy a bit more closely. He had learned that they had been traveling with Sora ever since Sora became a pirate and that they were always by Sora's side. 

The days of waiting at sea were long and gruesome, Sora had been asleep for three days-almost four, and every one began to fear the worst had happened. But Namine assured that the captain was recovering and that he was doing much better. Riku asked Namine if it would be alright if he went and saw Sora. Alone.

She approved of Riku's request and led him back to the room that Sora was resting in. Riku thanked Namine as she left the room, closing the door behind her. 

Riku walked over to the sleeping captain and sat down in a chair beside him. Riku missed hearing Sora's voice, his carefree laugh, his jokes and chats, hell, Riku even kinda missed being ordered around the ship. 

Light poured into the room from the window against the back wall, illuminating the room. The light reflecting off of Riku's silver hair, making it glow almost a bright pearly white. Riku would often sit in silence with Sora for hours, waiting for him to wake up. Sometimes Riku would try to tell the sleeping sailor about his day, or dreams he had, but mostly just kept quiet. Today he just wanted to be near Sora, he suddenly had this urgency to be near him. 

The silver haired sailor looked at the person beside him, who seemed to be trapped in a fairy tale kind of slumber. Riku whispered to himself, wishing over and over for Sora to wake up soon. Saying that everyone misses him. That he missed him. Small tears began to form in the corners of Riku's eyes. He wanted Sora to be okay. He desperately wanted him to wake up from this cursed coma.

He wanted to see that goofy smile.

The same smile from the night they got drunk. 

Riku began to quietly sob, tears running down his face landing softly onto the floorboards. His hands covering his face as he softly weeps. There was something inside Riku that he felt was missing, a warm feeling of happiness that was no longer there. It was Sora. 

The bedridden brunette began to softly shift, turning his head towards the weeping willow that was Riku. His eyes slowly opened taking in their surroundings. 

Yet Riku was oblivious to this event, it wasn't until he heard a voice that caught his attention.

A soft and familiar voice that reached out to the saddened sailor. A voice that he thought he might never hear again.

"Riku?"

Riku turned towards the only person who could be calling his name, Sora.

Riku's icy blue eyes widened to almost the size of dinner plates. He saw Sora, alive and awake. Sitting up in bed, and looking at Riku. A rush of joy pulsed all throughout Riku's body and soul. He rushed over to Sora and silently embraced him in a hug. Sora was confused at first but then wrapped his arms around Riku. 

Riku sobbed into Sora's shoulder, saying how much he missed him, how much the crew missed him. Riku told Sora about all the dreams he had about him, Sora just nodded and said, 

"I know, I heard everything."

He heard everything from the dreams to all the questions Riku had asked. All the questions that were left unanswered could finally be solved.

Riku asked once more, What were you going to tell me? 

 Sora just smiled that goofy smile and said,

"I love you."