Chapter 6

Lucas chased his friend out the door. The man, upon noticing the two boys, retreated back into his silver car and started the engine. Rob ran after him, a long string of profanity trailing out of his mouth. Lucas followed, frustrated that his legs did not have the lengthy stride of his best friend's.

“Rob!” Lucas screamed. He pushed himself to go faster, anything to catch up to his friend before it was too late. He couldn't think straight, but he didn't want to, not with the fear of death just around the corner.

 Tires squealed as the man sped up for a getaway. Lucas saw the flash of the gunmetal from the window. It was the gun that had ruined the windshield; knowing that, Lucas could only imagine how it could ruin human flesh.

“Rob! Let him go! He has a gun; he can shoot you!” He hollered, before finally reaching his friend and pulling him down to the ground. Another gunshot pieced the air.  Lucas felt the bullet ricochet off the asphalt only a half of a foot away.

“Let me go.” Rob protested, but there was a hitch in his voice. His face was hot with fury as he struggled against Lucas. Lucas wrestled until he pinned his friend.

“Either let him get away, or die.” Lucas muttered. Rob shoved his friend away, but didn’t make any other attempt to pursue the criminal. The silver car raced out of the parking lot, and flew down the road at an incredible speed. Lucas thanked God that no one had been on the road, but also prayed that a cop pulled over the man for a speeding ticket. The two boys watched it vanish from sight before Lucas released his hold

“Shit,” Rob growled, “I didn’t even get the license plate number.”

“Neither did I,” Lucas admitted and looked away. As much as he concentrated, he could only recall a three and a six and that did no good. He felt stupid for not thinking to check it in the first place.

Rob had clutched his head in his hands, unknowingly mirroring Lucas with the gesture

“Who would shoot a guy’s windshield?” Rob exclaimed in disgust, “Who would shoot my windshield? What did I do? I don’t even know the man!” Rob ranted bitterly. Lucas could only stare at the vein that threatened to burst in the boy’s neck. He had not seen his friend this upset in a long time.

“Come on man; let’s call the police or something. Let them figure it out.” Lucas said. He had to be the calm one, despite the swell of mixed emotions he felt. He tried to help his friend to his feet but Rob refused and stood up on his own. They simultaneously looked at the broken windshield on Rob's cruiser.

“My phone’s in the car.” Rob mumbled. He brushed some dust off of his arms.

“Least you don’t have to worry about all the hassle of unlocking the car to open the door- now that there’s a nice little hole.” Lucas commented dully. Rob shot him a withering glance.

“Screw you, Luke. This is not the time.” He sneered. Lucas shrugged; he hadn’t even meant the comment as a joke, just a snide remark. The whole incident had unsettled him, for a variety of reasons:

Why use a gun, when a crowbar or something could do the same work?

Why not stay in the car to do the job, instead of getting out then getting back in it for a getaway?

Why do it in the daytime? It was five-thirty in the summer; there was still plenty of sunlight. The man had not even worn a mask to hide his face- it was as if the act was spontaneous and not planned out at all. Lucas could not push away the thought that something had been done wrong, like the man had made a mistake in his crime, or didn’t have the time to complete it to satisfaction.