Chapter 5

Dedicated to Avatare91 for being my biggest fan :) You should check out her new story The Heart Stealer!

Also Wooh!!!! The great unknown has reached over 100 views!! Thank you sooo much for reading! Make sure to comment with your opinions of the story so far and tell me how i'm doing!

And on that note: Enjoy!

*******************************************************************************************************

“Luke! Boy, I best not be catching you sleeping during your shift! If a costumer were to mosey on in right ‘bout now, he’d turn his sorry self ‘round and walk right back out!”

Lucas awoke with a snort and wearily acknowledged his tomato-faced employer’s existence. He knew it was futile to mention the fact that they hardly ever got a customer and that it was a wonder that the old gas-station managed to stay in business.  Ever since it had been upgraded for people to pay at the pump, no one ever bothered to walk into the dinky little store- except for the occasional lottery ticket purchase.

Lucas sighed and began to doodle in the gathering dust on the countertop.

“…And while yer awake, clean this place up. I wanna see my face shining pretty on the countertops.” Mr. Baxter barked. Lucas suppressed his comment that Mr. Baxter had a face that could never shine pretty, no matter how many cleaning supplies were used.

Mr. Baxter threw a rag at his employee; Lucas caught it mid-air and tried not to scowl too hard as he rubbed away the dinosaur he had so diligently drawn in the dust.

There were only three gas stations in the entire town, and Lucas was unfortunate enough to work in one of them. Mr. Baxter was a friend of his father’s, so it wasn’t hard to land the job. The pay pretty much sucked but the perk was the fact that you could occasionally snag a candy bar. You got an employee discount of a whole whooping four percent. That’s right, candy bars were no longer a dollar; they were the amazing price of 96 cents.

After polishing the countertops, Lucas sighed and began to read the phone book- anything to distract from the misery that was work. He had reached the end of the As when his phone began to vibrate loudly. Lucas checked over his shoulder to see if Mr. Baxter was paying any attention to him. Employees were not supposed to answer their phones during their shift, and if you thought using a gas station bathroom was disgusting, just try cleaning one as punishment.

Mr. Baxter, however, had stolen away inside his office so the coast was clear. Lucas checked his phone. He had received a text message from Rob.

When u get off work?

Lucas looked over his shoulder once more.

Not until 4. Y?

Lucas sent the message and reexamined the yellow pages of the phone book. It wasn’t long before his phone buzzed again.

Its a surprise. Meet me at Ellie’s Diner

Lucas didn’t usually like Rob’s “surprises,” somehow they never managed to turn out well. Lucas vaguely remembered the cinnamon challenge, where he foolishly put a full tablespoon of ground cinnamon into his mouth. He had choked and gagged until finally vomiting up the contents of his stomach. Never again, Lucas thought, but with a groan he sent his reply.

K

Lucas shoved his phone into his pocket and exhaled slowly; now work was going to feel even longer with the anticipation of certain doom.

“About time you showed up.” Rob yelled from where he stood in the parking lot; Antonio pouted next to him, obviously just as unwilling as Lucas to be dragged into this. Lucas rolled his eyes and parked his car in the spot closest.