The Great Unknown

My first full length story on Wattpad! Wish me luck and make sure to let me know how i'm doing, complements are lovey, critiques are even lovelier! :) Also i thought this quote fit my genre...

“Men will confess to treason, murder, arson, false teeth, or a wig. How many of them will own up to a lack of humor?”

-Frank Moore Colby

Now without further ado...

***********************************************************************************************************

The night feels long and unforgiving. A girl sits on the front step of the manor and stares up at the rain cascading down, at the darkness that shrouds this one particular night. It seems surreal, the way Mother Nature sometimes adapts to fit the mood of a situation.

For the first time that evening, the girl is able to simply think, a luxury she was beginning to feel deprived of. She chooses to remember sounds, specifically the screams and the moment when they all stopped. The victim was silenced forever, but in a way, the witnesses were silenced more than the dead. 

The girl watched it all; she is a witness now. But does that give her power or a weakness? Her own safety is at stake now because of what she has seen. She knows he could still come after her, no, he will still come after her. Because even though every one in the manor knows the truth, she is the only one who questions it. She knows that if she doesn't do something, no one else will; yet she still remains silent.

Does the criminal therefore get away with murder? End of story?

Despite the hideous murder committed that night, no police are rushing to hear the girl’s statements, no ambulance sirens are blaring into the soundless night to come to her aid, and nobody else is going to know about the horrors committed that particular night. No one dares confess, and the girl herself remains silent. She feels alone, betrayed by the people who swore to keep her safe.Their gentle promises were only lies. Worse for her yet is the fact that she knows she will become one of them- a liar.

The girl squeezes her eyelids close; her guilt is eating away at her stomach. Why did she have to be like them? Why does she let that wretched man escape? Why can't she tell the truth?

A hand clasps down on her shoulder, startling the anxious girl. She looks up at a man, and wordlessly follows him into the warmth of the house. A few tears drip down her cheeks, but she swears they will be the last ones she ever let fall.