Chapter Ten

© Copyright 2012
All work is property of Leah Crichton, any duplication or reproduction of all or part of the work without explicit permission by the author is illegal.

Chapter Ten

Gabby had left early for a meeting of the minds and had asked her to take the bus home. Her mood was somber which was a perfect match for the deep, dark clouds that rolled in.

Sawyer noticed this change in her and tiptoed around her rather than continue his outrageous flirting. They sat at the computer for a good portion of it, designing a template for the year end party so the patients could personalize them and send them to their families.

By the end of the day, she was downright miserable. She wanted to go home and see Rachel but instead Gabby's empty house was what awaited her. Well, that, and Thomas Edison. Sawyer was in the parking lot, putting on his bike gear. "Want a ride?"

She shook her head, fanning her hair out. "No way am I getting on that thing."

Sawyer leaned forward and stroked the handlebar, speaking softly to his bike. "S'okay baby, she didn't mean it." He looked at Alexa. "Tell you what, how about you quit your bitchin' and get on the damned bike."

"No," she repeated.

"I'll even let you wear Devin's helmet. It's bedazzled and shit. Perfect for a princess like you."

Alexa crossed her arms over her chest. "Have you any idea the number of motorcycle related deaths per year?"

"Not exactly," he admitted. "but I do know the fatality rate for bikes is about thirty times higher than that of cars...on average."

She scowled. "I thought you were trying to convince me to get on that death machine, not run away screaming."

"I'm through tryin' to convince you to do anything," Sawyer said. "But that gigantic black cloud looks like it could be rather persuasive." He held out Devin's helmet.

Alexa took a tentative step forward. "You'll drive slow?"

Sawyer winked. "Sure thing, sweetheart."

Her hands shook as she tried to fasten the helmet. Without saying anything, Sawyer stepped forward and fastened it for her. He got on the bike and she followed, tossing her leg over the seat. The slope of it caused her to slide forward so her body was touching his. Her legs were pressed behind his, her chest on his back, she wrapped her arms around his waist, trying to ignore the pounding in her heart.

He laughed, flipping the visor to his helmet up and turning his head. "Didn't realize we were going to cuddle first."

"What?" her own voice was muffled from behind the helmet.

Sawyer brushed her arms with his fingers. "For a member of the health and safety patrol, you sure aren't doing much to stay on the bike," he told her. "You have to hold on tight."

She gave a squeeze. "Like this?"

Sawyer grabbed her arms and pulled them around his waist so the gripped him in the same manner as a bear hug. "Like this. Wait. Where's your house?"

"It's on Madison," she said.

Sawyer nodded. "I know where it is. Are you ready?"

Probably not but she nodded anyway.

"Don't be scared."

By the time he'd started the bike and they were rolling, Alexa was terrified.

His birthday was shaping up to be decent. As he weaved the bike in and out of traffic, Alexa's grip was so tight he was surprised he could actually breathe. He took the corners a little too closely and as the bike tipped from side to side, her legs tightened around him like a vice.