Chapter Five

© Copyright 2012
All work is property of Leah Crichton, any duplication or reproduction of all or part of the work without explicit permission by the author is illegal.

Sawyer had band practice following his incarceration. Sebastian liked to call it rehearsal but it was still band practice. It was like calling someone who pumped gas a petroleum transfer engineer. There were still a gas jockey, weren't they? Just like band practice was still band practice no matter what Seabass wanted to call it.

The only difference now was that they practiced in a studio rather than Sawyer's parents garage. Thank God for that. The minute Sawyer got his first royalty check, the only sound in the air was his tires squealing as he drove off and never looked back

He was late. Great. Another job perk. Between the shit hours and that broad Alexa, he had no idea how he was going to make it through another five hundred and forty two hours.

He grabbed his Rubic's Cube from the back of the bike, felt his pocket for his smokes and headed inside.

Lane munched on a bag of vegan chips and Charlie sat on the couch, head down, texting like a madwoman. Robbie's hands were over his head twisted in some unnatural position that Lane must have taught him and Sebastian was screwing with Sawyer's pedal board.

“Step away from my board.”

Seb smirked. “Or you'll what? Lay a hand on me and I'll press charges,” he joked. “Then you'll have more time to spend at Paper Planes. How was it by the way?”

“I'd rather have my teeth pulled without anesthesia than go back, that's how it went. Now get your narly feet off my board.”

Sebastian held his hands up in surrender trying to suppress a laugh. “Whatever, man. You missed rehearsal.”

“Then unpack your crap and we'll do it again,” Sawyer said.

“Um no,” Robbie interrupted. “I have a date.”

“With who?” Sawyer pressed, “your hand?”

Charlie looked as if she were fighting her gag reflex. Sawyer could recognize the expression from Devin. “Oh my God. You're disgusting. He's got a date with Tally's cousin, she set him up.”

Well wasn't that something. “A blind date, that shit never works out.”

Robbie cracked the top of a can of Coke and chugged a good portion down before he responded. “Right 'cause people are fighting for the chance to set you up, huh, West? Gimmie a break. You've probably never been on a blind date.”

“Right you are,” Sawyer said. “That's because I'm not relationship material.”

“Yeah,” Seb cut in. “Sawyer's more the love em and leave em type.”

Sawyer grinned and Robbie shrugged. “Your loss man, one day, I'll find some fine ass girl as beautiful as Charlie.”

Charlie's face flushed and Sebastian's eyes narrowed as he placed a hand protectively on Charlie's shoulder. “Fine ass?” Sebastian questioned. “What does that mean?”

“It means Robbie's got the wants for your girl,” Sawyer offered.

Robbie went beet red. “I didn't mean it like that. Charlie, I would never call your ass fine. At least not in front of an audience. At least not in front of you.”

Sebastian shook his head. “Just shut up about my girlfriend's ass, man.”

“Alright,” Robbie said. “Fine. Ass. I won't say anything else.”

“That's probably a good idea,” Lane said.

Sawyer pointed his index finger at his friend. “You involved in any conversation about asses should never be. Can we get back to talking about band practice, please? Anyone talked to Bennett?”