Chapter Sixteen

© Copyright 2012
All work is property of Leah Crichton, any duplication or reproduction of all or part of the work without explicit permission by the author is illegal.

The following morning, Lane remained confined to his bedroom which made for a far more quiet coffee than Sawyer was accustomed to. He was practically funneling the stuff down his throat after his sleepless night. Thoughts flooded his mind about how the hell he'd allowed things with Alexa to progress like they did.

He'd never had a girlfriend in the traditional sense of the word. The boys were right, he was the love 'em and leave 'em type. Sleep with a girl and move on. He often gave a false number; don't call me, I'll call you. Cruel? Yes. Heartless? Maybe but it was his reality. He was way too messed in the head to let anyone see inside. To know anyone. Until her. He couldn't fathom why she was different and it drove him crazy.

Almost as insane as trying to decode Lane's pissy mood. When he'd returned home the previous night from dropping Alexa off, he'd had the nerve to knock on Lane's door to suggest they watch a Bruce Willis marathon on TV. His suggestion was met with only Lane's scowl, some muttered curses and the door slamming in his face.

Whatever. He'd have to worry about it later. Sadie and Alexa were both waiting. He finished his coffee and placed the empty mug in the sink before heading out the door. When the thick, humid air hit him, he considered high tailing it back inside to the land of drawn curtains and air conditioning. His leather riding jacket felt like tin foil, baking him from the inside out in the sun.

He arrived at work quickly, driving faster than normal in an effort to create some kind of breeze. A pleasant sight welcomed him as he strolled through the doors of Paper Planes. The curves of Alexa's backside. Those same curves were burned into his brain following their make-out session. It was like they were branded there, not that he minded. She was unknowingly swinging her hips they way girls often did as she walked down the hallway. He paused to admire the view before stealthily following behind her.

As she veered to the right, he knew she was approaching the broom closet so he rushed in for the kill, snaked his arm around her waist and wrestled her inside. A small scream escaped from her mouth but he muffled the noise, crushing her lips with his.
She squirmed at first then eased. When he pulled away, even in the dark, he could feel her smiling.

“Sawyer.”

“How are you so sure it's me?” he teased.

“The way you kiss,” she said through ragged breath. "you scared me. What was that for?"

"That was for good morning.”

“Good morning,” she said. “That's better than coffee.”

“And this one,” he said kissing her again, “is for how much I wish you could have stayed with me last night.”

“I wish I could've stayed too."

"I couldn't sleep,” he confessed. "Couldn't stop thinking about you."

"I had a dream about you."

That sounded promising. Sawyer grinned. "You did, did you?" He pushed his body against hers until she was flat against the wall. “Why don't tell me about it, sugar? Maybe we can act it out later."

Alexa set her hands firmly on his chest and pushed him away. “Well it only involved two of us and since my friend Rachel is flying in this afternoon, I'm going to say we won't have a chance to play it out.”

"Who's Rachel? And why is she ruining my chances of finding out what makes your hot little body tick?"

Alexa giggled. “Rachel is my best friend. And my heart pumping is the direct cause of what makes my body tick. It's possible you may also have something to do with it, but I can't be sure.”