030 • Dana

"You have to be kidding me!" Cherry looked at her with raised eyebrows. "You've slept in his bed, and you haven't seen each other naked?"

"Not then," she murmured. The circumstances in which they had seen each other naked, had been anything but romantic.

"Ah, you must have seen something when you helped him out of his pants." She chuckled. "And? You like what you saw?"

Dana rolled her eyes. "I had other things to worry about."

Cherry laughed. "What an idiot. Can't think of anyone else who could be so stupid. Except for my own man, after a few drinks." She took some apples and oranges out of the shelves and put them in the basket.

A few hours had passed since Dana had returned to TM. Chibs had removed the bullet and stitched the wound, and they'd picked up Juice with the car and brought him to the clubhouse. For the time being, he was chained to his bed.

After Dana had told Cherry what had happened, her friend had dragged her to the supermarket to put together a basket of fruit.

"So... you haven't made out? Not even a little?" Cherry asked. She'd hooked her arm around Dana's and dragged her along the shelves. She was more curious about what had happened between Juice and her than about the accident.

"Nope. Told him I wasn't ready to get intimate."

Cherry frowned. "Well well... There must've been a reason you were discussing things like that."

Dana felt her cheeks glow. She dropped her eyes. "It ain't difficult to be honest with him. He's very understanding."

"You think he's in love with you?"

She shrugged. "Hard to tell. Besides Opie's old man there's no Son who hasn't been flirting with me. It's just in their nature."

Cherry had to agree.

"It doesn't matter anyway. I don't want somethin' serious, that's way too dangerous. A friendship, that's all it's gonna be. And believe me, after all those years on my own that's worth something as well."

Cherry pulled her closer and kissed her cheek. "I believe you. But I'm impressed by you. Don't think I could restrain myself if it had been Kip."

"You would when you'd lived with Maddox. I know why I'm doing this. There was a bullet in his ass today, but if I give in to my desires, the next one will be in his head."

In silence, Cherry added some bags of beer nuts and beers to their "fruit" basket.

. . .

Cherry and Dana had some dinner in town and filled the basket with all the things they'd bought. It was the first day she'd headed out without protection, for it wasn't far to the mall and there were lots of people around.

This afternoon a bike had been waiting for her, a light model. Gemma told her that Happy bought it with the money from Maddox's Harley. Dana liked the idea that she could be a little more mobile now, though she stayed alert. They fastened the basket and Cherry climbed behind her. Together they rode to TM and went to Juice's dorm.

"Hey, Half-Ass," Dana grinned when she entered the room. Juice lay on his left side and was looking at some action movie. Apparently, he hasn't heard enough gunshots today.

Cherry chuckled. "What were you thinkin'? Half-Sack got himself a smoking hot girl, so I'll create a war injury in my private zone as well?"

Juice smirked, saying nothing.

Cherry greeted him with a kiss on his cheek. "You're a pretty little thing, aren't you? Shooting yourself in your ass on your first date with this hottie."

"I was there for work," Dana muttered.

She loved Cherry, except on moments like these.

"Who are you trying to convince? You've already told me you're crazy in love with him, and even though Juice is dumb enough to shoot himself, he wouldn't be blind as well, hmm?" She gave him an ornery smile.

Dana felt red spots creeping up her neck. Please! Are you ever listening when I say something to you?

To top of it all, Juice gave her a questioning look. As if he was waiting for a confirmation.

Cherry started to laugh. "You're sweethearts, both of you. Well, I'll leave ya alone. Maybe Dana lets you nibble some strawberries from her belly, we've taken those too." She gave them a wink and walked to the door.

"What the hell are you doin'?" Dana grumbled, right before she closed the door behind Cherry. "I've told you why..."

"I know, baby. Just teasin' a little," Cherry whispered. "Believe me, this will help him get better."

Dana rolled her eyes and closed the door. A bit awkward she turned to Juice. "Cherry is on fire today. Anyway, we got you a fruit basket. You deserved that, after my bumblin' instead of helpin' ya. Don't think I should find a job in a hospital." She took the basket Cherry had put on the ground and moved it next to him. Then she sat down on the edge of the bed. "How ya doin'?"

"Better, now you're here." He smirked. His eyes had a playful glow. Oh dear. "So... Crazy in love, huh? I feel honored." He gave her a wink.

Bam, her temperature sped up ten degrees.

"You shouldn't believe everything she says. She just wants to cheer you up."

"Well, she did." He sat up a little straighter, and because he was relieving the right side of his body, his face came very close. "But ya do like me a little, don't ya?"

"A little." She tried to act just as provocative, but his lips so close to hers were distracting her, and her head must still have the color of a beet.

Very lightly his fingertips brushed the skin of her lower arm, from her wrist to her elbow. Dana held her breath, watching how his fingers moved. She wouldn't be surprised if a heated trace had been visible on her skin. Her whole body reacted: there were goosebumps everywhere and her blood seemed to boil.

"I think a little more than a little," he teased. "Bet you won't say no to a real date?"

Breath, Dana. You can do that. Otherwisethey've to patch you up as well.

She breathed in and looked up to him. Man, she really wanted to kiss those grinning lips. Just for once.

But judging from the way she longed for his touch again – and not only on her arm – being satisfied after a single kiss wasn't very likely.

What should she say? She was aware of Juice's staring. And even though he deserved a little tension, that tension was now mainly present in her own stomach.

"Well, you need to consider that for a long time..."

"It isn't easy to turn down somebody who's lying next to you with a bullet wound."

"Was hoping for that."

She started to laugh. Her heart jumped wildly in her chest, there was nothing it wanted more than spending time with him. But in the back of her head was still that ever-nagging voice that warned her for Maddox's vengeance.

She looked at him again. He was calmly waiting on her response, but she saw a hint of uncertainty flashing in his eyes.

She couldn't. She couldn't turn him down.

"Okay."

"Okay," he repeated. The boyish grin returned. "Okay, cool. At least I got now somethin' to look forward to ."