The Audition

We walked into a small room. There were three people there, sitting on folding chairs, behind a wobbly, wooden desk. They all looked bored, but I couldn't blame them. They had all been hearing the same few lines on repeat for hours now. I imagine they would have organised this better if they had expected this amount of people to come.

"Hello, is this Kaya and Seren?" a woman asked. We nodded.

"Yes, yes, just stand there. I'm sure you know what you're supposed to be saying?" We nod again.

"Good, please start now."

We nervously stand on separate sides of the cramped room. I start.

"Lacey? Lace, are you there?"

I inject nerves into my voice,  though I'm feeling them anyway. The people at the desk jot things down. I hate it when they do that, but they have to.

"Run, Eve!" She pours desperation into her voice, panic. I continue.

"I won't leave you"

"You won't have to leave me, just run."

I don't run though, because there isn't enough room. We will be using our facial expressions, often language and voices to act, because any running around in here will seem ridiculous.

"He's there! He's got a gun! Ru-"

I drop to the floor.

"Eve? Eve, get up! We have to go!"

Kaya pretends to cry.We stop and get up and face the people. It's a small extract, but an important one, one they chose for everyone to act.

They continue writing for a while. A man looks up.

"We are finishing our assessment. We will contact you if you get the parts. You may leave."

We leave.

The woman who lead us into the room is waiting outside. As she leads us away she says "You did well. They're definitely considering you."

The people were impressed.

We leave happy.