Queues

The line slowly shuffles forward. I stand, mumbling lines at random, trying to perfect each one, every time with more emotion. The line is slow and mind numbingly long.  I hear the other actors, chatting, laughing with nerves and, like me, mumbling lines. I hate auditions.

I wonder what it was like in the past. Did they have special effects? I don't think they had them to this extent, as we have to compete with TV. I know they didn't have anything that connects to your brain, to make the effects realistic to you, personally.  I know they didn't check your emotions, seeing if you were feeling what you should be. The extent to which they try to make you believe, they almost seem ridiculous, mind controlling.

Plays are easier than TV, I know that from experience. Everyone wants to be a movie star. Start small and make your way upwards, towards your goals, your dreams. Thats what I say, my excuse for being in plays, a dying culture. In truth, I want to be in plays. I want to be on the stage, not the screen. I don't need the unavoidable fame that comes with television.

I'm surprised at the length of the queue.  Usually the line is at the most half this size, if not less. I guess a lot of people saw this play becoming something big, as we did.

We move forwards.

We're near the front of the line now. I can feel the nerves, the jitters, rising in my stomach. I feel slightly ill. My butterflies are taking control of my breathing, rapidly, jaggedly, through my mouth. I start panicking, visioning every way this could go wrong. Kaya can sense my anxiety, and grips my hand reassuringly, though I'm not sure who she's trying to calm. I hear a voice.

"Kaya and Seren Grey? You're up next."

We follow a woman, who hurries us along a corridor. We're up.

Time to audition.