Callie - The New Guy Lives Where?

“Hey did you guys hear?” Hannah spurted out she sat down at the lunch table. My friend has always been a spaz, but a good one; and not a total freak out but she just talks extremely fast, like fricken lighting. 

“The new guy that took on Kevin?” She finished her new string of gossip and I could tell Brittany was listening beside me. 

“I know, I saw it happen. He’s pretty cute, whoever he is” 

“Well don’t get your hopes up, the Populars already called him” I said, peeling away my sandwiches crust. Brittany looked behind her to the Populars table, I took a peak too. 

There he was sitting in the middle of Thing 1 and Thing 2, a.k.a Kourtney and Tiffany. I gave a disgusted frown at the sight of their boobs hanging out. Lance looked a little too comfortable.  

“Oh” Brittany said, obviously giving up her dream of actually being with an attractive guy. I nod and took a bite of my sandwich trying to get Lance and the populars off my mind, but they always seemed to find their way back. 

As lunch ticked on, Hannah looked down with a shocked yet not too surprised look. I followed her gaze and found the Populars making their way to our table, Thing 1 and 2 leading the way. 

I looked at Hannah for answers but she was already up and running to whatever hiding spot she could find. I looked to Brittany for answers but she seemed horrified at the people that were coming near us. God, am I the only one that isn’t freaking out? It’s just the fakes and the oranges for cryin’ out loud! 

“Hey where’s your little friend?” Kourtney asked, or what I like to call her; Thing 1.

“What? I can’t hear you over that nose job” I said with a concerning look on my face. She puts her hand on her hip. 

“Oh, shut up loser. Tell what’s-her-face to stay away from my boyfriend.”

“Yeah I’ll be sure not to tell her” I said nodding my head with a smile. People where looking at us, obviously trying to listen in. I could tell Brittany was trying to hide from the looks but I could give a rats butt about what others think.

“Excuse me?” She said sounding like a five-year-old. 

“Excuse me?” I imitated, like the warden in the movie Holes, country accent and all. I could hear a few laughs from people; I looked at the group of Populars staring me down and couldn’t believe the look on the new guys face. He was actually smiling at me. Lance Pierre was smiling at me, why? 

It wasn’t until Tiffany’s boyfriend, Mark, gave Lance a nudge that he wiped his smirk off and started to stare me down, but I could tell there was a grin behind it.  

“I said you better tell your good for nothing friend to keep her paws off my-“ 

“Oh no, I heard you loud and clear. I just refuse to do it”. People started to ‘ooh’. You know, the ‘ooh’ you give when someone gets sent off to the principal’s office or smart mouth the most popular girl in the junior class, knowing that she could ruin your life with a snap of her fingers. Yah, that kind of ‘ooh’. 

“You know what Callie White? Yeah, I know your name and I’m not afraid to use it against you” Thing 1 remarked, how could you use a name against me? I smiled at how stupid Kourtney really is. 

“Oh I’m so scared” I said in a goofy voice, peeling my orange while the Populars are still standing next to me. I looked up when I heard a teacher come our way. Kids start to sit back down and the Populars head back to their table, still staring at me. What is with these teachers always coming in to break up the fight after it happens? Emphasize the work ‘after’. 

Brittany looks up at me like I was a god or something, who do I look like? Thor? 

“How did you do that?” She asked, mouth idle. I take a bite of my orange. 

“Its Kourtney and Tiffany, Britt, they’re as smart as a box of rocks” I told her. 

“But-“ 

“I really could care less what they think”. As Hannah came back to the table, Brittany told her what happened and how I stood up for her. I shrugged when Hannah looked at me. 

“Thanks” She muttered and proceeded to eat her lunch, and I proceed with mine; although I could still feel death stares barrowing into my back, but I could also feel a grin. 

I was walking home when I stood their, shocked. No way. 

The new guy, Lance Pierre or whatever, is moving in two houses down from mine. Great the over-cocky, confidant, new guy is going to be my neighbor. Just peachy. 

I walked on through the movers and couldn’t help notice him and his family. Lance was carrying fishing nets and rods into the garage and his dad was carrying a couch in with one of the movers. I noticed his mom and his sister were going through books and boxes. 

I kept my head low as I walked down the street about to go through their moving fiasco. It’s just two houses down; at least it’s not right next door. I sighed, why did that old lady have to die and put her house up for sale? 

As I walked, I stared down at the pavement; avoiding looks. I could have sworn I saw Lance look at me or possibly even recognize me as the psycho girl that went all nut job on Kourtney. But why did he smile when I was insulting her? There was no point in smiling at what I was saying. She was insulting us so I insulted them; it’s the circle of life! 

I don’t know where he moved in from but he better learn that groups in the junior class do not mingle or smile or give a stupid little grin to each other, it throws the whole system off. 

I got to my front porch and as I turn the door knob, I can already hear my wiener dog go bazerk. Tubby, a big fat wiener, ran through my legs as I opened the door. Oh God, oh God, oh God, please Tubs don’t go after the movers! 

And sure enough, he did. He ran as fast as a wiener can move, his short stubby legs carried him all the way down the street to where Lance was moving in. Maybe I should just pretend he’s not my dog, just wait till someone gets him and brings him back. 

But being my baby, I went after him. All the way down the street, all the way to the movers, all the way to where Lance was. Please kill me now. 

I walk up to the scene and seriously considered to stab that dog right there and then. He was barking at the little girl, obviously scaring her. For such a small wiener he was a toughie. 

“I am so sorry, he doesn’t bit. He’s just loud. I’m so sorry” I tried to grab him by the collar but no use. He then runs away, still of course barking. The movers started to chuckle at the sight of me running after my wiener through the Pierre’s front lawn. 

Lance walks out from the front door in shorts and a t-shirt and I run right into him. Yes, my life is complete fail. I feel my face redden as we both fall over onto the cement walk way, Tubby barking at him. 

“Is this guy yours?” he chuckles, probably thinking I’m so awed by his laugh that I can’t speak. When really, I was in shock at the stupid, little, fat dog that he was now petting. 

“Uh yeah” I say hastily. Please just kill me now. He hands me Tubby and gives me a big smile. 

“Hey you’re the girl that stood up to what’s-her-name” He said.

“Yeah that’s me” I don’t get it. Why am I so flustered? When I first saw this guy I hated him. And I still do! He’s a good for nothing Popular. 

“Well I thought it was pretty cool what you did” 

“Thanks” I mutter and turned away with Tubby in my arms. God, I want to kill this dog. 

He starts to wag his tail and lick my hand, I smile. 

“Oh, shut up”.