Callie - A Good Laugh, Huh?

I ran. I just kept running for what seemed like forever. I ran till the party was behind me; till Kourtney and Tiffany were behind me; till Lance was out of my mind. 

But that was impossible. Lately he hasn't stopped running through my mind. I either reminisce of the sweet, kind things he’s done, or hate him for things like tonight. I hate every moment of this. 

I ran into my house only to hear Bobby upset. I walked into the living room to see my parents trying to talk to him but with no use. He was too upset to listen. I felt new warm tears flow down my cheeks as I watched my brother upset and thinking about the party all at once. 

I walked out of the house and, even though it was dark out, I went to the woods. Anywhere seemed better than here. 

I went behind a large oak and sat opposite of all my worries. I put my head between my legs and cried silently. I could still hear the music echoing from the party between each sob. I could still hear Lance partying it down with Kourtney. How could I be so dumb? 

How could I really think Lance and I could have been friends? And to think that I actually was starting to let him into my life. So stupid. 

The worse part is I think, deep down, I actually started to really like him. Truly like him. The way he talked, the way he joked around with me, how he understood my life. His smile, how he would suddenly turn modest, how he scratch his neck when he was nervous, how he seemed absolutely perfect. Well, that was all lies. 

I’m not sure how long I sat their but I noticed the booming of the party was gone. I sat up and walked back to my house through the dark, dense trees. Wow, this place is creepy at night. 

When I walked in I noticed everyone had gone to bed. I checked the time and it was close to two in the morning. I guess time flies when you’re having yourself a good cry. . . . 

I climbed up to my room only to find Tubby sprawled on my comforter, sound asleep. I smiled and plopped into the bed beside him; rerunning the events that happened in my head. I could still feel the streams of salty tears down my face. 

Tubby suddenly rose and walked over to my eyes sniffing them gently, then started to lick my tears away. I fell sleep with a dog licking my eyes, how romantic. 

A week had passed and Lance hasn't said a word to me; not even a look. This just added more fuel to the fire within me. 

Not only has he been ignoring me, but now apparently he’s dating Kourtney. Please let me put a bullet through my head. 

By now the whole school knows what went down at the party, even Hannah and Britt. They even asked me why I would do such a stupid thing. 

“What were you expecting would happen?” Hannah questioned at lunch. 

“Yeah, I thought you hated them?” Britt added in, taking a big scoop of pudding. I looked at both of them. 

“I do, I just. . . I don't know. Lance-” I started, getting cut off. 

“Lance put you up to it?” Britt almost spat her pudding all over the table. Hannah looked quizzical. 

“I wouldn't trust that guy anymore.” She added with Britt. 

“Trust me, I wont” I muttered, taking a bite of my own pudding. 

As lunch dragged on, my gaze turned over to the popular table and I immediately felt self conscious. I hated it. I hated that feeling of humiliation; of being made fun of for something. 

They were laughing so loudly, so obnoxiously that I thought I was going to puke. Kourntey and Tiffany would turn around every now and then to look at me and laugh. I mean, it’s not like they’ve been doing it all week to me; but it was different this time. They were whispering and muttering, like they didn't want me to know what they were laughing at.