Chapter 10

Arianna

My eyes were connected to Ashtyn’s through every word he spoke, so it would have been easy for me to spot any trace of deception or mockery in his speech. The fact that there was none of that present, is what caused me to bolt from the cafeteria in desperate need of air. He was practically declaring his love for me without having to say the words. It was in his eyes, and his actions. No guy in their right mind would willingly put themselves out there in front of all his peers, risking the embarrassment of a life time if he didn’t mean every word he said.

Any mate with a normal past would have melted at the gesture, but my past was far from normal and the reason I was now sitting in the middle of our football field, hugging my knees to my chest, resting my head on the top of them while tears fell from my eyes. Quiet footsteps behind me, and the scent of wild flowers let me know Casey had followed me. I knew she would. I was closer to Adam, but when it came to water works, he was a typical male and backed away as if afraid he would drown. That only made me appreciate my friendship with Casey more.

She sat next to me, placing a comforting arm on my shoulder. She sat quietly with me, understanding that I needed to work things out in my head before I was ready to talk. A few minutes passed before I pushed words out through my dry throat, “I’m scared, Casey.”

She wiped the tears from my eyes, then turned her body so she was now sitting facing my side, “What are you scared of?”

“Ashtyn. What he said…did back there. He was so sure of his feelings for me, so ready to give up his life style to make me happy. I could tell he meant what he said by the conviction in his voice and my wolf’s trust in his.” I explained.

She studied me for a minute, absorbing my feelings, before asking, “What about that scares you?”

I lifted my head and looked up at the sky before returning my tear filled eyes to her, “That the minute I give into him and accept him, the second I put my heart in his hands, he’ll break it into a million pieces just like my dad did my mom’s.”

Her eyes softened at my admission and she pulled my hands from my knees forcing me to turn mirroring her position. She held tightly to them, then said, “Honey, you can’t keep judging your future by your parents past. Their mistakes don’t have to be yours, it’s not set in stone that because your dad cheated on your mom, your mate will cheat on you. You need to tell Ashtyn your fears. The game you planned was fun for the half a day that it lasted, but it really isn’t the route you two should take. Neither was his grand gesture just now, as sweet as it was. I think you two should save the sexual teasing for after you’ve accepted one another. When all your demons are laid to rest, but first, I think you should sit down with your mom and tell her your fear. She’s the only one that will be able to clear your head and help you make the right choice.”

I was stunned speechless, not because every word that Casey said was true, but because these words of truth came from her. She always came off as a sort of air head, only concerned with fashion and boys.  I could always count on her to make me laugh when I was sad, but I had to wonder for a moment if it was all an act, and behind it hid someone just as vulnerable as me, but for her own reasons. 

“As much as you hate to admit it, you know I’m right, I usually am.” she joked, obviously uncomfortable with how much of her wall she let crumble. I wanted to call her on it, but decided now was not the time.