Chapter 16

Arianna

I rang the door bell and fiddled with the hem of my simple blue dress. It had inch wide straps, was fitted up top but flowed at the bottom and stopped just at my knees. My mother leant me her black cardigan just in case I got too chilled and I put it on before exiting my car because chilled with nervousness was exactly what I was. While waiting for someone to answer the door, I thought about my conversation with my mother while she helped me get ready.

We talked about my fear and she expressed how happy she was that I was working through it. She also asked how I was dealing with my heat. I played it off like it was fine, not wanting her to know about the little coffee shop incident. She encouraged me to talk with my father, something I hadn’t done yet. It wasn’t because I was upset with him, but because I knew it would be an awkward one. He already knew I was in heat, so how embarrassing would it be to have a conversation about my father’s former lustful ways, when I was walking a thin line of lustful desires myself?

No, that was definitely not a situation I wanted to get into just yet. Maybe after I’m marked and more in control of my hormones and moods, I could tackle that.

The opening of the door chased those worries away, and I had to place a hand to stop my heart from beating right out of my chest. The sight of Ashtyn never failed to bring an intense reaction out of me. Thanks to my heat, the reaction of the last couple days had been physical. As I took in his clean shaven appearance and memorized every contour of his jean clad body, I had to ball my hands into fists to keep from reaching for him and having my wicked way with him on his parents front porch.

“Hi, right on time,” Ashtyn greeted with a smile I was quick to return. “Come in, my mom is getting her chicken out of the oven and she and my dad will join us for some lemonade when she’s done.”

I stepped inside and inhaled the delicious aroma filling the air. “Wow, that smells really good.”

Ashtyn placed a hand on my back to guide me and said, “You smell even better.” Of course it caused a blush to form and desire to build.

“Don’t let your mom hear that, or she might not let you have any of her famous chicken.” A man said from the doorway we were headed toward. It was Ashtyn’s father, and the playful smile on his face told me he was joking. “Hi Arianna, it’s nice to meet you.”

I leaned forward to shake the hand he offered, “It’s nice to meet you too, Mr. Middleton.”

“Nonsense dear, he’s just plain old Daniel and I’m Sharon. Can I just say you are a beauty?” She scooped me into her arms for a big hug. I didn’t return it at first, too stunned by the action, but once I came to and smelt the warm hint of cinnamon she emitted, I embraced her right back.

“Mom, let her breathe.” Ashtyn grumbled. 

Sharon pulled back but kept her hands on my arms smiling warmly, “Oh hush, you just don’t want anyone else touching her. Didn’t I teach you to share?” 

“Not when it comes to my mate.” Ashtyn replied.