†4† Why Me?

Chapter Four: Why Me?

 Song for this chapter: "Love Runs Out" by One Republic

      Trenton and I walked silently side by side. The only sounds I could hear were our feet tapping lightly against the shiny, tiled floor, and the sound of the morning announcements echoing throughout the school. One of the students that were randomly chosen each morning was currently informing our entire student body about the victory we had yesterday from one of the sport teams.

      But I wasn't really paying attention. My mind was currently overflowing with questions. Questions for him.

     Did he know what Mickey was yet? How much did he read of that letter? Why was he even reading behind my shoulder? Was he spying on me? Maybe he didn't even recognize me...

     I shouldn't have been worried about the whole Mickey thing because well...I wasn't even going to do it. But just knowing that someone might know made me a little nervous.

     "You aren't a very good tour guide..." he said casually, interrupting my thoughts. "You haven't said a word since we went to my locker."

     "Ahh, right...sorry," I apologized quickly, taking a gander around us, so I could point something out to him. "That's"—I pointed to the large, open room filled with blue, rectangular bench tables—"the cafeteria. You...uhh eat there and stuff." 

     "You sure about that?" he asked mockingly. A glimmer of amusement hinted in his eyes, and I stared at him flatly in response.

     "Well...I just wanted to make sure you knew, incase you were like home schooled or something," I replied a little sheepishly.

     "I wasn't home schooled."

     "Oh," I said. I paused for a moment, wondering if he was going to tell me more, but when he didn't pursue the conversation, I asked, "Did Mrs. Mitchell give you your schedule, Trenton?" I asked, changing the subject.

     "Trent."

     "Hmm?" I arched a brow at him, curiously.

     "You can call me Trent," he corrected me, stopping just a few feet beside me. "I don't like being called Trenton unless it's by teachers or something."

     "Oh, alright...Trent." I tested his name in my mouth, and I found that it flowed quite easily. "So, uh, do you have a schedule?"

      "Yep, right here." He reached into his back pocket and pulled out a folded, half slip of printed paper before handing it to me.

     "Thanks." When I took the paper away from him, I was careful to not touch his hand. I don't know why exactly. I was just nervous, jumpy...cautious.

     After unfolding it, I began skimming through his classes. And I was a little shocked, when I noticed that we actually shared a majority of them together. Of the six periods in the day, we had four together—US History, Culinary Basics, English 11 and Gym. Looking further down the list, I realized we also shared the same lunch period.

     Fantastic. I'm gonna see him for more than half the day. God, I hope he didn't read that letter.

     A shallow breath of air pressed through my lips, as I tried to level my voice. "Alright, I can show you all of your classes. We have four together though...so if you forget I guess you can follow me and my friend around. She's in three of the four with us."

     "The one that you were with yesterday?"

     I took the moment to act stupid, testing him. "What do you mean by yesterday?"