†5† Why Now?

Chapter Five: Why Now?

Song for this chapter: "Sugar" by Maroon 5

"Is he here yet?" Heather whined for about the hundredth time.

"Heather, calm down," I scolded, giving her a look. "He'll get here when he gets here."

"Maybe we should've picked him up at his locker. What if he doesn't know which way to the lunch room? What if he's lost, huh?"

"I'm sure someone will direct him here. I mean, seriously, have you seen him? The girls in our Cooking class were already beginning to fawn over him." I rolled my eyes, remembering the loud "whispering" echoing throughout the class and them making silent Oh-my-God faces at each other.

"Yeah...but still. I just want to meet him already!"

"What about Ashton?" I reminded her of her own car wash guy as we scooted down the A-La-Cart line.

"What about him?"

"Aren't you interested in him?"

"Well, yeah, duh. But I mean, why can't I appreciate a heavenly body when I see one? And are you getting protective over him already, hmm?" Heather raised an eyebrow at me. "And what about Matt, huhm? Are you forgetting your long time love from freshman year?"

"I'm not getting protective over him." I defended. "Just asking. And would you stop saying his name so loudly..." I said wryly, looking around to make sure no one was listening in on our conversation.

Heather picked up one helping of the chicken strips, while I grabbed a plain bagel, a small tub of cream cheese and a pint of chocolate milk. The line was decently full, but it moved steadily. From the corner of my eye, I noticed that Matt was about six or seven people behind me. He was currently talking to one of his guy friends. A boyish grin filled his features as he laughed at something the guy said.

"I'm a girl of many characteristics. Being quiet? Not one of them." She grinned evilly at me, and I had the urge to roll my eyes...again.

"Whatever," I mumbled, stealing another glimpse of Matt. He looked so sweet. So attractive. Not to mention adorable.

"Oh! Look," Heather nudged me with her free arm. "I found him. He just entered the lunch room with Lena."

Lena was the girl that I was "sort of" arguing with the other day. The one that was crazily obsessed with Mickey. I gazed at them for a moment, seeing that Lena was grabbing his arm with her hand. "Well...looks like she's attached herself to him," I said.

"Guess so. Think he likes it?" she asked, switching her gaze from me to them every so often.

"Dunno," I replied honestly. Trent didn't really come across as a player or anything, but then again, I didn't really say much to him. "He doesn't have to join us if he doesn't want to."

As I came up to the register, Heather inspected the two of them like she could read their minds or something. I handed my school I.D. to the lunch lady and waited till she gave it back to me. Once my food was paid for, I waited for Heather to finish.

"I wanted to meet him," she told me flatly, not bothering to hide the disappointment in her voice.

"I know," I said as we headed to our usual sitting place. "But we have English with him sixth period. So I'll introduce him to you then?"

"Do you know how long that is?"

"About three hours...?" I guestimated, taking a gander at the clock.