L for Legend: Chapter Eight

Raina and Raye in this chapter :D

And I know I haven't uploaded in ages. I suck 3:

•••Chapter 8•••

•••Valentina's POV•••

"See ya later," I called to Mello and Matt, before walking into my own apartment.

"Matt said bye!" Mello yelled angrily.

Yeah, Mello wasn't in the best of moods with me. I had done... stuff. It made him pretty angry. Let's just say he wouldn't be able to go into the science corridor for quite a while without having horrible flashbacks. Heh heh-

Clink clink clink.

I stopped dead.

There was someone in my kitchen.

I crept over to my front door to grab a weapon - an umbrella - before making my way over to the kitchen.

There was a girl crouched on the kitchen island, stirring a cup of tea with her left foot.

A few seconds passed before it clicked. "Raye?" I asked.

"Valentina!" she greeted, hopping from the island to stand in front of me. "It's been a while."

I laughed awkwardly. "Certainly has... why were you stirring that cup of tea with your feet?"

"Training," she answered simply.

"..."

"I'm learning Capoeira."

"Oh! Of course, how could I forget?"

"Because you're forgetful. I'd have thought even you would remember that," she said. She sounded like she was smiling, but she wasn't.

"No, I was just... in shock. I haven't seen you for years!"

Raye was a few years older than me - and also the previous successor to L. She had done pretty well for herself, but she hadn't been public about anything for a while; I was beginning to think she had died.

Raye shrugged. "I've been around. I was actually thinking about you the other day... I haven't heard much about you lately."

I let a slightly annoyed look take over my face. "L thinks I'm too destructive to do cases on my own."

"I always enjoyed that about you," Raye mused. "It certainly made things a little more interesting at Wammy's. And pretty much the only reason you solve your cases."

"Does L know you're here?" I asked suddenly.

Raye suddenly stopped stirring her tea and looked at me abruptly. "Not yet, and I'd like to keep it that way."

My phone buzzed in my pocket. I took it out, then read aloud, "Too late - L."

"Dammit," Raye muttered, glancing around the room for inspiration to save herself from the situation. She hadn't seen L for years, as 'certain situations' had made it rather difficult for them to be around each other.

"He said he'll be here in five minutes," I informed Raye.

Raye closed her eyes for a second, then opened them. "Could you not hide me?"

"He'd find you."

"Could you not let me out of the window?"

"He'd follow you."

"Could you tell him not to come?"

"Could you?"

"Touché."

"Why does he even want to see you? I mean, after everything that happened..." I trailed off, deciding it would be best not to say it out loud.

"Well, I guess we'll find out."

We heard the door click open.

"Damn, that was fast," I muttered to myself.

"Valentinaaaa!" a girl's voice called, attracting the surprised glances of both Raye and myself. We looked around, to see L walking into the kitchen (like he owned it), followed closely by another girl.

"Raina!" I yelled, grinning.

"Valentina!" Raina repeated.

"Raina!"

"Let's stop that now, we sound stupid," Raina said, quickly accepting my invitation for a hug.

"Where have you been?" I asked, pulling away.

She tilted her head, thinking about it. "Around," she said slowly. "What about you?"

"Still in training," I said firmly, looking over at L. He nodded in confirmation. "I need to learn to be less dangerous, apparently."

Raina raised her eyebrows, then looked at L. "No way! That's the only reason she solves most of the cases she takes on!"

"That's what I said," Rae put in. Everyone turned to look at her. Raina and I looked back at L. An awkward silence fell over the room.

"Oh look, you made cake!" Raina said loudly, just at the same time I let out a forced cough.

"Keep it down in there!" an angry voice yelled, followed by a few bangs on the wall.

"Mello," I explained quickly.

"Ah."

"Hey, Raina... I, uh, d'you remember that thing? That thing I said I needed to show you... alone?" I asked.

It took a second to click. "Oh, yeah! That thing..."

Together, we walked quickly into my room and straight over to the computer. I got up the security cameras so we could see what was happening in the kitchen. The screen mounted on the wall above it showed Matt watching my kitchen on his own computer too.

L and Rae were stood in the kitchen, avoiding looking at each other.

"What brings you back here?" L asked after a few seconds.

"Valentina," Rae answered.

"If you're here for Valentina, why did you come so late?"

"It's only been a few years."

"Fair enough. Why do you need Valentina?" he asked.

"To help with a case," she answered simply.

"What case?"

"You're asking a lot of questions."

"I'm a detective."

"So you should be able to figure it out."

"Detectives ask questions, then figure things out," he retorted, if not emotionlessly.

"I can't even watch this anymore!" I exclaimed, turning away to face Raina.

"Why can't they just...?" Raina clasped her hands together exaggeratedly.

I suddenly grinned. "I have a plan."

•••

I'm so proud to be British right now :'D

I'm gonna go have crumpets and tea or something now.