L for Legend: Chapter Five

•••Chapter 5••• 

•••Valentina's POV••• 

"Marsh-Mello, can we go home yet? I'm tired," I whined, walking behind Mello, who was walking slowly after L, who had been walking aimlessly for the past hour.

"In a minute," he repeated.

"You said that mousands ago!"

"Mousands?" he asked, turning back to me with a raised eyebrow.

"Millions and thousands put together... duh."

"Why am I even friends with you?"

"Because you love me!" Without warning, I glomped him from behind.

"Ugh, Valentina, what the hell are you doing?" he asked, trying not to yell.

"Because you're huggable. And anyway, L isn't doing anything interesting. He's probably not going anywhere because he knows we're watching."

Mello frowned as his thinking face came on. "You're probably right."

"Come on," I said, pulling him back towards the bike by his wrist. "I'm driving."

He snickered. "Yeah, right. Not after that."

"Nothing was wrong with my driving!" I protested, attempting to get the keys back. He held them up, purposely dangling them just out of my reach. "That's not fair!"

He laughed and carried on walking. "Yeah." He shook his head, then put the keys back into his pocket.  

•••  

"Psst," I whispered. "Hey. Psst. Sheep."

Near glanced at me from the corner of his eye. He was sat (like L, of course) on his chair, evenly spaced between Mello and I. He had been staring blankly at the front of the classroom for nearly an hour, trying to ignore us.

"Near," I hissed.

He sighed slightly. "Yes?"

"Would you like to know why we're annoying you?" I asked, poking his side.

"Why are you trying to annoy me, Valentina?"

"Because we made a bet. I have to try to make you smile before the lesson finishes," I explained. "And if you don't smile, then I owe Mello a chocolate bar."

"And if I do?"

"Then I get the satisfaction of knowing I can make everyone smile. Oh, and two chocolate bars."

"That's rather a fair bet. Although, Valentina, I think you're going to lose," he stated simply.

"You try saying that again when you're smiling," I growled.

Mello snickered. "You know you're wrong."

"Shut it, Marsh-Mello. I can make you laugh in a second."

He ignored me and went back to his work. Heh. Probably because he knew I was right.

"Hey, Near. What's black, white, pink and green?" I asked excitedly.

"I don't know, Valentina. What's black, white, pink and green?"

"COLOURS!"

Matt's head poked in from the table behind. "Nice one, V." He gave me a high five, then disappeared.

Near, however, didn't even twitch.

"Dammit." I poked his face.

It was so discreet that I almost missed it, but his eye twitched. Just a little, but it was enough.