L for Legend: Chapter Seven

I'm introducing Mortician and Link in this chapter so this is gonna be a little short. Raine and Rae introduced next chapter.

Enjoy :3

•••Chapter 7•••

•••Valentina's POV•••

"So you're saying that there's no way to get the cow to the chicken in time for the ball?" I asked my math partner seriously, looking down at our project sheet. We had to - somehow - get the cow to the chicken over two rivers using two ninety degree bridges in the fastest time possible.

"Depends when the ball starts," she shrugged.

"Depends if the cow shows up."

"That chicken's pretty ugly."

"Wait..." I drew a cross over the chicken.

"That's better!"

"I'm Valentina, by the way," I greeted.

She smiled. "Mortician."

"So, ladies, what's your answer?" the teacher asked, strolling up to us with a poorly perfected fake smile on his face. Between my two math teachers, I liked this one the least.

"Well," I began.

"We decided the cow is a stuck-up male with too much pride," Mortician continued.

"So he won't show up at all," I finished.

"But," Mortician interrupted.

"The poor, ugly chicken will get upset, and the ice cream shop is right next to the cow's house," I improvised.

"So she'll have to go over there anyway."

"So..." I drew the bridges over the river, while Mortician drew the pathway across the grass.

"Well done, ladies, that answer is correct," the teacher said, nodding in approval.

"We know," Mortician answered, flicking her light purple hair from her eyes. I bit my lip and smirked at the teacher's expression.

For the next few problems, we came up with even more adventurous ways of solving them. One involved time travel and aliens.

We were doing quite well, until the teacher told us to join up with another pair. I immediately went for L, who was looking quite uncomfortable with his partner that he had been involuntarily paired with.

"Hey, Morti!" the girl said brightly as we sat down. She turned to me after. "I'm Link."

"Valentina," I grinned. "So are you two new here? I haven't seen you around."

The girls nodded at the same time. "We just came here from Wammy's."

I nodded in understanding. "I used to go there."

"Why'd you move?" Link asked.

I grinned sloppily. "I set my room on fire."

"That was you?" Mortician questioned, tilting her head. "Nobody's allowed in that room now."

Heh. I wasn't surprised; I had put a hole in the wall. "I managed to cover that up for a while, actually. It made a nice escape route."

"How did they find it?" L asked, looking over at me. He wasn't at Wammy's when I was. He only visited a few times.