Chapter 13 - Today is the Day

Get ready, Gabe announces. The sound of his unpleasant voice startles me, and wakes me up. Today is the day. We leave in an hour. It is a thirty minute drive, so get ready.

Pack your stuff, James says, then chuckles to himself. Oh wait, never mind. 

We do not have 'stuff,' we are prisoners. I decide to bring a blanket that I have used since the day I got here.

I stayed her for about five months, and now I have to prepare for a new location.

I will no longer see James and Gabe, but a different tormentor. That is great.

I glance at Carly, who is staring at me. 'I will miss you,' she mouths. We have orders of no talking, and Gabe has no tolerance today. 'I will miss you too,' I mouth back. I mean what I say. I cannot believe that I am even here. What did I do wrong? How come this happened to me?

**

**

Get in the car, get in the car! Gabe is eager to get us in his car without anyone noticing. Jennel is already in, and I'm about to go in.

I am in. Carly is in. They're in. Jennel is in. Point is, we are all in.

The motor starts, and the car starts to move. 

I was expecting me to wake up, be in bed, in my own room, with my belongings. That didn't happen.

We are in the back, with no windows or anything. I cannot see the driver or passenger either. It is dark back here. 

The car comes to an abrupt stop. What is going on? Carly asks.

Why'd we stop? Jennel asks.

They are looking at me for the answer to their questions. I shrug.

Suddenly, I hear a siren. A police siren. We are going to be free! 

Guys, bang on the van, they'll know we're in here! I scream.  We bang on the walls, and then I hear footsteps. 

The back opens. It's a police officer.

They're in here, the police officer says.

We're free, I think. We're free.