Chapter 29

I watched as the flames crept their way up the walls and across the floor of the subway car, slowly inching their way towards us.

I could already smell the smoke as it started to fill and burn my lungs.

I turned towards Archer with wide eyes hoping he'd know what to do because I sure as hell didn't, but when I looked at him my heart dropped. He looked just as panicked as me and when our eyes locked and he gave me a slight shake of his head I knew we were screwed.

He had no plan. We were stuck and in just a few moments we were going to be consumed by the flames.

Because I didn't have a better plan and I refused to just sit here and burn, I ran back to the exit door and began pushing, pulling, and even banging on the door.

Nothing worked.

As the  flames of the fire slowly crept their way closer, the smoke got thicker and a few harsh coughs came from my throat. I pulled the collar of my shirt up over my mouth and nose trying to block out some of the smoke.

I glanced back over my shoulder and my heart dropped. The fire was halfway towards us. Only a few more minutes and then we'd have nowhere left to run to.

Panicking, I started banging on the small glass window of the exit door with my fists until my fists were red and sore and when that didn't work, I let out a frustrated scream and kicked the door before slumping to the ground on my hands and knees.

The smoke had gotten a lot thicker in what seemed like only a few seconds and my lungs started to feel like they were being barbecued. My eyes were burning and watery and I was having trouble seeing straight.

I felt a hand on my shoulder and when I looked to my left I saw Archer kneeling next to me. It looked like he had ash smeared in places all over his face. Without saying anything he lifted me up by my shoulders so I was standing again.

"If we can break that glass then we can climb out." Archer said gesturing toward the exit window.

I looked at the window and then down at my hands that were still red and hurting from when I had tried banging against it earlier.

"Not sure how much help I'll be with that." I said after a few coughs.

The fire had devoured the last subway car before ours and was just starting to consume the one we were in. If we didn't break this window in the next few minutes we were dead.

"On three kick the glass okay?" Archer said.

I nodded and turned towards the window.

"One."

"Two.

"Three!"

We kicked the window at the same time and I put as much force as I could into that kick. To my relief the window actually cracked.

"Again!" Archer yelled.

He didn't bother counting this time. Instead he just kicked the window when I did.

The cracks in the window grew but unfortunately so did the fire. I could feel the heat from it on my back and sweat and ash were now covering my face and hair.

"Now!" Arched yelled and we kicked the window again.

I almost screamed in relief when the glass gave and shards of it fell out and onto the tracks.

Archer didn't waste anytime and quickly took off his black hoodie leaving him in just a gray t-shirt.

He placed his hoodie over the sill of the window so that it covered the few pieces of glass that were still sticking up and reached his hand out for me to take.

I took his hand and let him help me out the window. I swung one leg over and held on to the window sill with one hand while still gripping Archer's hand with the other. I pulled my other leg through and when Archer let go of my hand I fell in an ungraceful heap on the tracks, banging my knees painfully on the tracks.

A few seconds later I heard a grunt and turned to see Archer on his hands and knees next to me.

I sighed but then winced at the burning sensation that was still lingering in my lungs.

"You okay?" I heard Archer ask as I slowly rolled onto my back.

"No. I'm pretty sure my knees are going to be bruised for life, my lungs feel like they've been baked, my body hurts just about everywhere, and I'm covered in sweat, ash, and blood."

To my surprise Archer actually laughed.

I would've said something but I didn't even have the energy anymore. Instead I just shook my head and closed my eyes. I could see the brightness from the fire behind my eyelids but then it was suddenly dimmed. I opened my eyes slowly to see Archer hovering over me and staring at me intently.

"What?" I asked. "Do I have something on my face? I mean besides the sweat, ash, and blood?"

Archer smiled and shook his head.

"You're the only girl I know who can make blood and sweat look sexy."

Cringe.

Still, I gave a nervous laugh trying to ignore the warmth in my cheeks and sat up slowly and took Archer's hand when he offered and let him help me up.

When I was on my feet I looked up at the burning subway train and watched as the flames of the fire completely engulfed it.

"What do we do now?" I asked quietly.

"We get the hell out of here." Archer said with a determined glint in his eyes.

"What about Dylan? We can't leave him here."

Archer glanced down the tunnel then back up at the old platform before sighing heavily.

"Is there anything I could say to you that would make you leave while I stayed and got Dylan?"

I crossed my arms over my chest and narrowed my eyes at him.

Archer sighed again. "I didn't think so."

It would've been easy. If I kept straight down this tunnel I would eventually come to a waiting platform that was in use where people would be and I could get help and escape, but there was no way I was leaving Archer down here by himself with Dox and his twisted friends.

I grabbed Archer's hand and stared him straight in the eyes.

"Wherever you go, I go. You can't get rid of me that easily and if that's what you're trying to do then you're going to have to try a lot harder."

Archer stared at me for a moment before leaning in and quickly kissed me.

Okay, so we were doing this more frequently then.

When he pulled away he had a small smile on his lips.

"Let's go then." He said tugging on my hand.

"Where are we going?"

"To get Dylan."