Chapter 21

The hand that had a death grip on my hair was extremely close to pulling it all out and I had to grit my teeth to keep from crying out or saying something I'd regret.

Forget about trying to fight back. I quickly figured out that was a bad idea as soon as I saw Dox appear behind me through a connecting door to the room with a flashlight and gun in his hands.

The bastard didn't even bother with the whole 'I've got you now!' speech that most evil dudes say in the movies which results in the victim having enough time to escape. No, he just walked straight up to me, slammed my head against the wall and proceeded to drag me down a dark tunnel with blood dripping from the back of my head like I was his own personal Raggedy Ann doll.

I had no idea where he was taking me but I was in no hurry to get there. He obviously was though if the pace we were going at was anything to go by. He was practically sprinting.

We came to the end of the tunnel where it split off into two directions, left and right. He took the right one and then made two quick lefts and then another right. After his third left I lost track of the way back just in case by some miracle I were to escape. It didn't seem like that was going to happen though. When he made yet another left I spoke up.

"Where are you taking me?" I said through clenched teeth. He still hadn't loosened his grip on my hair.

"Shut your mouth or I'll snap your fucking neck." He snarled.

Grouchy.

His words had the desired effect  though and I quit talking... for about two seconds before I was opening my mouth again. I was scared shitless and when that happened there was no shutting me up.

"Shouldn't you have killed me already? You said if you found any of us we were as good as dead. Why won't you just go ahead and kill me now, get it over with." I don't know at which point my fear turned into anger but it most certainly did.

Dox stopped abruptly and yanked my hair back, pulling me back into his chest. I let out a small whimper this time. I swear I was going to have start wearing wigs because of him.

When Dox leaned forward I could feel his hot breath on my ear through the mouth hole in his mask.

"Now what fun would that be? Where's the creativity in that? Don't worry sweetheart. When I'm through with you, you'll wish I would've just killed you." And with that he started dragging me along again.

After another series of many lefts and rights we finally came to Dox's destination... and I almost pissed my pants for what I'm sure was the tenth time today.

The room was large, made out of stone just like everything else down here and the ceiling and half of the walls were covered with pipes. In the center of the room stood four, large, curved, gray pipes that jutted out from the floor and were pointed towards the right wall.

Hand cuffed to three of those pipes and placed directly in front of them were three people. The man who had tried to use me as bait earlier when this whole shit show started was handcuffed to the first one, except he looked a lot worse than when we had last seen him. His face looked like it had been used as somebody's punching bag. The second one was occupied by the skater boy who had questioned Dox while we were all gathered on the subway tracks and the last one... handcuffed to that one, was the same little girl I had been trying to get to since I got down here.

Guess I got what I wanted.

"What the hell is this?!" I all but screamed.

Behind me I could feel Dox chuckle before he spoke.

"This is where all the fun happens."

He pushed me forward until I was standing in front of the only large pipe that didn't have someone handcuffed in front of it and when I realized what was happening my heart dropped.

What I had originally thought were just large ordinary pipes were in fact those big steam pipes that let out buckets of blazing hot steam. Now I understood why he had the other three people handcuffed in front of them.

I had stopped walking and Dox had to forcefully drag me forward in order to get me to move, but even then I started to put up a fight. I did not want to be sitting in front of one of those things when that steam came out. It was going to sear us alive.

"No!" I tried kicking and clawing at Dox's exposed hands and wrists even throwing my body left and right. Nothing worked and when he slammed me up against the pipe he intended to handcuff me to, I started crying. My body shook with each sob as Dox pulled out a pair of handcuffs from his back pocket and cuffed me to the pipe.

As soon as he stepped back I turned my head so I could look at him through my watery eyes.

"W-why... why are you doing this? " I asked between sobs.

Dox patted the top of my head like I was some little kid.

"I already told you. The system already failed me once and now they're going to fail you. This is all to prove a point."

"Then you make a fucking PowerPoint and get a laser pointer and go stand in front of a room full of people who actually give a shit about what you have to say!" I turned my head to see it was skater boy who had spoken.

When I turned back, Dox was shaking his head and slowly backing away towards the way we had come.

"I'd much rather give my audience a live show." And with that he disappeared back down the tunnel.