Chapter 1

Plot Twist – A Josh Devine/One Direction Fan Fiction

Chapter 1

“Lauren, c’mon! We’ve gotta hurry up! I’ve got band rehearsal in twenty minutes!” I heard my brother yell from the bottom of the stairs.

“Coming! Give me two seconds! I’m grabbing my shoes!” I yelled back. I grabbed my TOMs, my wallet, my iPhone, and my purse. I ran down the stairs and out the door, “C’mon slow poke! You’re gonna be late!” I yell behind me as I rush towards the car and jump into the passenger’s seat.

I hear him grumble something about having a little brother as he slid into the drivers seat, “You’re a really pain in my ass, you know?”

“Yeah, I know. I’m your little sister. What the hell else am I supposed to do?”

“Clean my laundry, make me food, do my homework…”

“Ha! You should be a comedian, Josh.”

“You think so?”

“Nope. Stick to drumming.” Josh glared at me playfully and I stuck my tongue out at him.

This kind of banter was normal between us. Like most siblings, we fought about little things; like the remote or the last piece of pie. But we never really fought. If we did, we would realize how stupid we were being and make up almost immediately. I loved my brother; and my brother loved me.

Josh pulled his Jeep into the driveway and put it in park, “Get your lazy out of the car and help me get my drums set up.”

I rolled my eyes. I was always the one who ended up setting up his drums because he never did it right. The stage crew taught me how to set them up two years ago when I was 14, right after my brother’s band first started.

“DEVINE!” I hear a familiar Irish accent yell. I turned around and saw Niall and my brother hugging.

“EW! My innocent eyes! No PDA! Please!” I yelled, shielding my eyes from the bromance. Niall laughed and made his way over to me.

“Well I have to be able to hug one of you!” With that, he wrapped me in a signature Horan Hug. “And if I can’t hug Josh, I guess you’re the only one left.” He chuckled into my neck. I giggled. It tickled!

“Nevermind! Go hug Josh!” I said, trying to pry myself from his grasp. He only hugged me tighter.

“No! You can’t escape me!”

I smirked, “Oh really? Watch me.” Then I started tickling his sides. His one weak spot.

“Ahh! Okay okay okay OKAY! You win! You’re free! STOP!” he yelled through his laughter. I smirked and let him go. He pouted and walked off. Niall was like my second brother. All of the boys were like my brothers, but Niall and I were definitely the closest.

I finished unpacking Josh’s stuff and I carried it into the garage. I starting putting everything together and was done in no time. I stepped back to admire my work. I looked at the gleaming silver and the plastic of the drum heads. The gold of the cymbals was reflecting the sunlight coming in through the open garage door. The big red letters on the bass drum stared back at me. They read, “1D”.

I grabbed the drumsticks out of the back of the Jeep and sat down behind the drums. I started with a simple beat, similar to my own heartbeat. I slowly added things to it until it became me rapidly moving my hands, faster than I ever had before. I kept going faster, faster, faster until I reached my limit. I knew it was my limit because I could no longer see my hands.

I hit the cymbal with the drumstick in my left hand, my right hand still doing the pattern, and tossed the drumstick that was in my left hand into the air. I focused on my right hand and blindly caught the drumstick and kept going with my rhythm.

I ended my drum session with one last clang of the cymbal and I let the drumsticks clatter to the floor. When I looked up I saw five boys with their mouths hanging in disbelief and one wearing a smug smirk.

“What are you staring at?” I asked, picking the drumsticks up off the floor.

“You,” Harry started.

“Can,” Zayn added.

“Play?” Louis finished.

“Holy shit,” Niall said.

“How the hell…?” Liam asked, his sentence trailing off.

“I’ve taught you well,” Josh smirked. I turned to him and place my hands together as if I was praying and bowed towards him.

“Thank you Sensei,” I said. Josh and I stared at each other seriously for a second and then broke into a fit of laughter.

“What do you mean, ‘I’ve taught you well’?” Harry asked.

Josh regained his composure and draped his arm over my shoulder, “I’ve taught her everything she knows,” I quirked an eyebrow at him. He rolled his eyes at me, “and she taught me a few things too.” It was my turn to smirk.

The five boys stood there again, mouths wide open. Josh and I both smirked. Josh had been teaching me to play drums since I was four. Sure, he was only six, but he was a natural. By the time I was ten, my parents had bought Josh and I a Pearl drum set. Josh always used thePearlset and I used the old one during our lessons. We practiced every Thursday after dinner.

That was our tradition. Our “thing”. Every Thursday night since I was nine, I’m now sixteen, Josh and I would practice together. Neither one of us would go to bed without our lesson. We even Skyped when they were on tour. I don’t know what I would do without them.

Niall’s booming laugh brought me back to reality. By the looks of it, Josh had just said something “Witty and creative”. I rolled my eyes, “What did you tell him?”

“I told him I was teaching you Drum Fu. I don’t know why he thinks it’s so funny.”

I laughed a little at this. That’s what we called it. Ever since that day when dad came in during one of our lessons and saw us tossing our drum sticks back and forth as we played.

“You guys should get started with your rehearsal! I want to hear the new song for your second album!” I said, plopping down on the sofa in Harry’s garage.

Niall grabbed his guitar, Liam did the same, and Josh walked back and sat down behind the drums. He raised the drum sticks above his head and hit them together on the beat, “1… 2… 3… 4…”

I closed my eyes and listened to the harmonies, the guitars, and the steady beat of the drum.