Chapter 5

THANK YOU GUYS SO MUCH FOR YOUR INCREDIBLE PATIENCE YOU GUYS ARE PERFECT! I hope this is worth it....

Chapter 5

            I jumped out of bed, “What happened? Where is he? What’s wrong?”

“He, Lou, and Niall went out to get a few drinks and they got a little too tipsy. When they weren’t back by 2, Paul went to go look for them and they found Niall and Lou screaming and standing over Josh’s body. They’re at the hospital right now but that’s all I know. Liam went to go get the car, we’re going to the hospital right now.”

I was in shock, but I flew down the hallway, down the stairs, and out the front door of the hotel. Before I knew it I was sitting in the backseat of the car with Zayn beside me, trying to calm me down.

“Lauren, it’s going to be. I bet Josh is fine.”

“But you can’t know that! He could be DEAD Zayn.”

“Calm down-”

“Don’t tell me to calm down! My big brother is in the HOSPITAL for Christ sake! Liam, drive faster!”

“I’m driving as fast as I’m allowed to.”

I huffed in exasperation, but we got there eventually. I jumped out of the car and ran to the front desk. “I’m here to see a Josh Devine”

 “He isn’t seeing visitors right now,” the lady said in a monotone.

“Why not?”

“Who are you?”

“I’m his little sister. Now let me see him.”

“He’s not seeing visitors right now.”

“Why the hell not?”

“He’s in a coma.”

Zayn was standing next to me and he wrapped his arms around me as I began to sob into his shoulder. He ran his fingers through my hair and kissed the top of my head in a comforting (and COMPLETELY PLATONIC) way.

“It’s gonna be okay, Lauren. Josh is strong. He’s tough. He’ll pull through.”

I nodded lightly, but didn’t believe a word he said. He knew it too. “Let’s go see Niall and Lou, okay?” he asked.

I nodded again and we began walking to the waiting room. When we walked in, Liam was standing by Niall and Harry by Louis. “Hey lads,” I said.

They looked up at me. They’re eyes were red and swollen from crying. Louis spoke first. “Lauren, I’m so sorry. I should’ve stopped it. I could’ve stopped him. I was just-”

“Lou, it’s fine.” I cut him off. “There’s nothing you could’ve done. What happened though?”

“He got hit by a car,” Niall said. We are walking down the street back to the hotel and it was so late that he didn’t think anyone would be out so he was walking on the yellow line. He was trying to walk in a straight line, and he couldn’t. Louis and I were laughing and then they’re was a bright light and a honk and then the car drove off. Josh was just laying there so we ran over to him. He wasn’t bleeding a whole lot, he was just scratched up a bit. I was expecting him to just pop back up like nothing happened. But he never did. He was breathing. I made sure of that. Then Paul found us and we rushed here. I’m so sorry…”

We were all crying now. How could he be so stupid? I mean, c’mon josh. I didn’t care though. All I wanted was from him to wake up. I just wanted him to be okay. He needed to be okay. He was going to be okay. He was going to wake up any second.

“I just want to see him.” I whispered. Zayn came over and hugged me again. I rested my head on his shoulder.

A man in purple scrubs and a white coat came out from two swinging white doors and said, “is anyone here for a Mr. Josh Devine?”

All of us stood up. The doctor nodded.

“Are any of you family?”

I stepped forward. “I’m his little sister,” I whispered, unable to make my voice any louder.

“You can come back and see him if you’d like. He’s still in a coma. We aren’t sure how long he’s going to be like this, but we think he’ll be awake in less than a week. He broke his left arm and moved one of the vertebrae in his back out of place, which may have caused damage to his spinal cord, but we can’t be sure until he wakes up. If you’d like to see him, please follow me.”

I gripped Zayn’s hand and looked up at him. I could tell by the look on his face that the fear I felt was in my eyes. He kissed my forehead again and led me down the hall behind the doctor.

When we got to the room a sat down beside the bed and grabbed his hand. I burst into tears and Zayn let me have my space this time, but it was nice to know he was still in the room. I was expecting him to move or do something like he usually does when he’s sleeping, but he never did.