12.

I climbed the steps of the Smalls' house for the second time that day. I hesitated to knock, but I knew I had to do this. I lightly knocked on the door, my stomach twisting and turning as I heard footsteps. The door opened and there stood Emmy, her long hair resting elegantly on her shoulders.

"Hey," I said, awkwardly, scratching the back of my neck. She didn't say anything, just stared at me with her arms crossed, so I continued. "We won..."

"That's great, Benny. Really." She said with a sarcastic chuckle. "I mean, that means that I don't have to be forced to go out with Phillips now." I winced.

"I'm sorry, Emmy." I pleaded. "I really am." She just continued staring at me, not saying anything. "You can't hate me forever."

"Watch me," and with that, she closed the door in my face. My eyes went wide and I went to knock on the door again before it slowly started opening. She opened it all the way and looked up at me.

"Told you you couldn't hate me forever," I said with a smirk.

"Oh no," She said. "Trust me, I can." She went to shut the door again, but I grabbed the door, opening it and stepping inside, closing it behind me.

"Come on, Emmy. I said I'm sorry and I really am. What else do you want me to do?" She stayed quiet, staring at me intently. "Well? What do you want me to do? Because I will do anything to make you not mad at me anymore."

"Kiss my shoe," she said with a straight face.

"Are you serious?" I asked. She nodded. "Well, if it'll make you like me again..." I bent down while I kept eye contact with her. The corners of her mouth twitched as I got closer to her foot. I was just an inch away before she snorted and started laughing. I looked up at her and grinned when I saw her beautiful smile.

"Benny," she said, in between laughs. "I was kidding. I forgive you." I stood up and engulfed her in a bear hug.

"I missed you," I said into her hair, it smelling slightly like vanilla from her shampoo.

"I missed you too," she whispered, her hands grabbing the back of my shirt. After a few seconds, I pulled away, kissing her forehead lightly.

"So the guys and I are going to the fair tonight, you and Smalls wanna go?" I asked. She nodded. "Get dressed nicely and meet us at the sandlot, okay?" I pulled away from her, opening the door. "See you in a few." I stepped outside, closing the door behind me. I walked across the street to my house with a stupid grin on my face that I was sure wouldn't leave anytime that night.

• • •

Emmy.

It was around nine and we were all at the fair in our nice clothes ready to go on some rides.

"Hey guys!" Benny yelled. "It's all on me tonight!" He took money out of his pocket and handed it to the lady. "Ten tickets, please." She took the money and handed him ten tickets. Benny handed a ticket to each of us and we all thanked him, deciding on which ride to go on.

"Aw crap!" Bertram called. "I almost forgot!" We all turned back around to face him.

"What?"

He pulled out a bag of chewing tobacco from his pocket and showed us. "Chaw!" He shouted. "I was saving it for a good time!"

"What is it?" Scotty asked. This boy was so clueless.

"Big Chief!" Bertram answered, smelling the package. "The best!"

"Jeez, Smalls." Ham said. "I suppose you don't even know who The Babe is either." I gulped while Benny rested his hands on Scotty's shoulders. All the boys laughed and I raised my eyebrows. "It's plug, wad, chewing tobacco?"

"'Baccy, man." Bertram added.

"What do you do with it?" He asked. Bertram's eyes grew wide with disbelief.

"You're killing me, Smalls!" Ham yelled, taking some out of the bag. "You chew it, of course!"

"You do?"

"Yes!"

"Yeah, sure man. All the pros do it." DeNunez said.

"Yeah, yeah! Gives you tons of energy!" Yeah Yeah added.

"Lets dip!" They all agreed, taking some. I, on the other hand knew better.

"Scotty, you better not." I warned.

"Be quiet, Emmy." He said, shoving some into his mouth. "You're not my mom." All the boys "ooooed" and I rolled my eyes, looking at Benny and telling him not to. He caught my gaze and set it back in the bag.

"Lets ride!" All the boys ran for the nearest ride. Benny went to follow, but I stopped him.

"You might not want to go on that," I said. He turned to look at me, tilting his head in confusion. "Just wait a few minutes."

"Wanna go on another ride, then?" He asked. I nodded and he held his hand out for me to take. We went in line for the ferris wheel which was pretty short, because we got on in two or three minutes. I got into the cart, then Benny did, sitting on the same side as me. The ferris wheel started up again. I rested my head against Benny's shoulder, he wrapped his arm around me, his thumb rubbing my arm lightly, making the hair on my arms stand up.

"Benny?" I said, closing my eyes.

"Yeah?"

"Thank you for putting up with me."

He chuckled. "No, thank you for putting up with me."

"We put up with each other," I said.

"Which is what a boyfriend and girlfriend should do, right?" he asked. I nodded. He kissed my forehead. I opened my eyes, looking out into the night air, enjoying how my life was at the moment. A month ago when we moved here, I would've never thought I would end up with new friends or a boyfriend for that matter. And I was glad at how my life was.

A scream pulled me out of my thoughts and I sat up, looking down. A bunch of people came running off the ride the boys were on, covered in puke. The boys got off next, teetering and wobbling around, puke covering their nice clothes. I turned to Benny, pointing down at the catastrophe fifteen feet below us.

"That right there is why," I said. We both looked at each other and started laughing uncontrollably until our stomachs began hurting.

There was no other way I would've wanted to spend a chilly summer night than here with Benny.

* * *

HIII :)

i'm trying to update more for you guys. and this is the fourth story that comes up when you look up the sandlot, so thank you guys for that :)

question of the day: twitter, tumblr, or facebook?

ok ily bye - hayley