5.

The next day, my mom woke me up and I got ready for my second day of school. Today was bound to be better, considering Scotty and I both had friends. Today, I wanted to try a different approach. I wore a skirt. I felt stupid and uncomfortable in it, but it was only seven hours, I decided I could handle it, so Scotty and I walked down the street to catch the bus.

"It's really weird seeing you in a skirt," Scotty said, looking up at me.

"I may be wearing a skirt, but I can still kick your butt," I said, pushing him lightly, my cheeks burning red.

When we got to the bus stop, Benny and Ham were already there, laughing about something together.

"Hey, guys!" Scotty said, running up to them. I, on the other hand proceeded to walk.

"Hey, Smalls!" They said in unison. I finally reached them, both Benny and Ham turning to look at me, their mouths wide open.

"You? In a skirt?" Ham said with a loud laugh.

"What's wrong with it?" I asked, my hand resting on my hip.

"Nothing, it's just-" he cut himself off. "Look the bus!"

I rolled my eyes. Was it really that bad? The bus stopped in front of us, Ham got on, then Scotty. I was walking to get on next.

"I like it," Benny whispered, looking down at me before walking in front of me, his hands in his pockets, as he swiftly stepped onto the bus. I stood there, not sure of what just happened.

"You getting on?" the bus driver said, staring down at me. My eyes widened and I hurriedly got on.

"Sorry," I mumbled to him before making my way to where the boys were sitting. Once again, all eyes were on me. I couldn't understand why, I wasn't that interesting, I was just me. Nothing special, nothing out of the ordinary. I took a seat next to Bertram, across from Squints and Yeah Yeah. The boys were all too busy in their conversation to notice what I was wearing, I sighed in relief, resting my head against the seat.

• • •

Getting off the bus, Scotty, Squints, Yeah Yeah, Ham, Timmy, and Tommy went together to the 6th grade wing. Benny, Bertram, DeNunez and I took off for the 10th grade wing, talking about the game that was on last night.

"Did you see Mantle's homer?" DeNunez asked.

"Yeah!" I said, nodding my head. "That was-" I was cut off by someone's stiff body hitting mine and knocking me to the floor.

"Hey!" A deep voice growled. "Watch where you're going, you-" The boy turned around and when he saw me, his scowl turned into an evil smirk as he stared down at me. Benny grabbed my hand and helped me up.

"YOU watch where you're going, Phillips," Benny growled. Bertram and DeNunez glared at him just as hard as Benny was. Phillips let out a chuckle.

"Rodriguez, you haven't introduced me to your little friend here," he said, eyeing me up and down. He licked his lips and smirked at me.

"Don't look at her," Benny said through clenched teeth. All Phillips did was laugh.

"Watch yourself, Rodriguez," Phillips said. "I could ruin you."

"Yeah whatever, Phillips. You've told me that one hundred and one times now."

"And I mean it, I could," Phillips said. "Watch yourself." he said once more before shoulder checking Benny and walking the opposite direction. "Bye, princess." He said turning to look at me, blowing me a kiss. Benny growled again, turning to go after him.