Uncle Sam and the Archangel

When Cas went to go talk to Derek, it didn't go the way either if them expected. Derek wasn't expecting a visit, and Cas wasn't expecting to come, but he did out of command from an alpha, his alpha, his son.

.....

Derek was in a small clearing in the woods. There was a small waterfall and a stream connecting to it, and a cliff that looked over the now peaceful town of Beacon Hills. It was the place where he and Stiles had their first date, where Derek kissed Stiles for the first time, where Stiles first said 'I love you' to anyone but his fathers, and where Derek wanted to propose.

He was looking down and fiddling with the rings in his hands when he heard a flutter of wings behind him.

"Derek." the deep, gruff voice of the angel said from behind him. He looked up to his soon-to-be father in law, and Cas saw a certain sadness in his eyes that he wished wasn't there.

"Hey, Mr. Winchester?" Derek asked, looking back out to the town.

"Yes, Derek?" Cas asked with a confused expression on his face. Cas could feel all of the positive emotions coming off of the man, but his heart held grief and suffering. He was broken, but he was healing, and Cas understood that.

Derek looked at him and saw the confused expression on his face, and let out a genuine laugh. Cas was surprised by this, he had never seen Derek laugh without Stiles being there.

"Can I...Can I have your blessing to marry you son?" Derek said looking at the rings. It was his mothers and fathers, she gave it to him when he was fourteen and told him something that he would never forget...

"Whoever you marry, I know you'll love them with all of your heart. This ring was your great great great grandmother's, it was forged in the fires from a dying witch that her mate saved her from. It has been passed down for generations and now I'm giving it to you." Talia said as she handed Derek her and his fathers rings.

"Why me?" Derek asked as he grabbed them from her hands.

"Because I want you to have it. You are so special Derek, and you deserve love more than anyone." She smiled softly and kissed his head. He looked down at the rings and noticed that they looked different from when his parents were wearing them.

"How come...when you and Dad wear it, it's red, but when I hold it it's clear?" Derek asked as he inspected the blood diamond on the ring that was no longer red.

"Because this ring is special. All of the Alpha Hale's have had this ring, and you are my only son. You need to produce a new Alpha Hale, and this ring will turn colors when it is presented to a mate. Green will mean that you two are compatible as mates, but it does not mean that you're in love. Blue will mean that you are in love, but that doesn't mean that you are compatible as mates. And red means that you have found your true mate." She explained to him.

"What's a true mate?" He said sheepishly and looked up to his mother. She laughed at him and closed his hand that was containing the rings.

"Your true mate is someone who you love and who loves you unconditionally and would do anything for eachother. Only true mates are able to reproduce, unless they're mate is human, and whether they are wolf, or any other creature, human or supernatural, they will also be an alpha." She said and turned to look at the forest.

"How do you know I'll find my true mate?" He asked and looked out to the fading sun.

"You'll know from the moment you see them. They'll smell like home, and even if you don't like eachother, the bond is always there. You would be willingt I die for them, and do anything to protect them, and they'll do the same to you." She smiled and looked to the sun.