four

C h a p t e r   F o u r

"Oh, I know her." Alec smirked. "Elliot Darren."

I stared out the car window, the words Alec has said replayed in my mind. As much as I want it out, I can't. There were millions, billions, of 'Alec Hayden' out there, why did he have to be the Alec? Why can't he just be an Alec?

I let the brisk air conditioning blow on my hair as Blake hummed along the radio.  "Blake?"

He stopped humming and answered, his eyes not leaving the road, "Yeah?"

"Can you stop singing?" I asked, "your voice is annoying."

With a roll of his eyes, he replied, "your face is annoying."

I faked a gasp, "I thought people always say we look alike."

It's true. Whenever our parents' friends visited, there will be at least one comment that goes along the line of Blake and me looking alike. As much as I don't want to admit, my brother and I do share umpteen similar traits. Beside the fact that Blake and I are different gender, we both have honey brown hair paired with light grey eyes.

"Crap."

Ellie Goulding's 'Beating Heart' played softly, filling the car with a less awkward tension.  It wasn't until minutes after when the car suddenly jerked to a stop; I realized we have already arrived.

"Get off," he ordered.

I muttered something unpleasant under my breath and stepped out of the car. Not forgetting my sarcasm, I said aloud, "Geez, bye to you too."

He didn't even bother to reply. I grabbed my bag and swung it over a shoulder in one hasty motion. Who knew opening a door could be so hard? After twisting and turning and more twisting and turning the key, the door refused to budge. 

Unlike any other girls my age, instead of calling my mum to open the door for me, I pressed the doorbell.

It took her three rings' time to answer. "Oh my God, hello!" She gushed, a little too cheerfully.

"Hello to you too?" I responded uncertainly.

She let out a deep breath, "Oh it's just you."

"It's just me?" I wasn't sure if I should be glad or worried.

"I thought you were the Haydens."

The Haydens?

I repeated, this time aloud.

"Our new neighbours. They moved in yesterday, didn't you see them?"

I guess I was too caught up with all those Cole drama to notice them. "Nope." Closing the door behind me, I followed her into the kitchen. It was a mess. Flour and sauces were everywhere, unwashed dishes filled up the sink, numerous cook books were scattered on the floor. "Need any help?"

"It's fine. I got it." But the stress in her voice said otherwise.

"You sure?"

"Positive," she gave me a heartening smile. "Just be there when they arrive."

"Mission accepted."

Giving her a light kiss on the cheek, I grabbed a granola bar and headed up the stairs. An artificial scent of vanilla and cinnamon rushed up my nostrils.  Great, I forgot to blow out my candles. By the time it was blown out, half of the wax already vaporized. I let out an unattractive groan and jumped on my bed, falling back first.