two

C h a p t e r   T w o 

The stewardess came back precisely half a minute later with a box of Kleenex.

She apologized repeatedly as she pressed tissues after tissues on my lap, hoping that it will soak in all the drink. After minutes of trying, she finally gave up. The dark yellow stain was clearly visible on my clothing still. I thanked her then shot a deadly glare at the laughing boy.

"Your laugh is waking people up." I told him.

"No one is sleeping," the boy stated. He was right. Everyone was wide awake, either watching the small television or crunching on a packet of peanuts.

I crossed my arms defensively by the lack of a good comeback. Pausing for mere seconds, I replied. "Your obnoxiously loud laugh is killing my brain cells."

"Are you sure it's not because of my sexiness?" he winked. 

I rolled my eyes and let out a sarcastic laugh. It was definitely not due to his sexiness. No, definitely not. "You wish."

The boy smirked in response.

After minutes of awkward silence, the food arrived. A different flight attendant handed me my plate of steamy breakfast. I ordered vegetarian, since I always thought that meat on aeroplanes tastes funny. Underneath the aluminium foils revealed a marvellously cooked omelette paired with mashed potatoes. It smelt heavenly.

I picked up the tiny bread that came with the rest of the food and took a small bite out of it. The warm goodness filled my mouth as I chewed ungracefully. Since I love my food all equally, I then stuffed myself a spoonful of omelettes.

"Graceful," the boy commented.

"Shut up." Giving him a light slap across the arm, I took a sip of coffee. It didn't take me long to finish off everything. If eating was a subject, I could surely ace it.

"Ow!" he rubbed his arm, "That hurts!"

"Eh," I shrugged. "You deserved it."

He scuffed and turned back eating. With nothing better to do, I continued watching the movie that I have not yet finished. Young Harry was so handsome, it was such a shame he wasn't as cute now. I spent another half an hour on the movie when a woman took my dirty plates away.

The lights dimmed. I had to admit, it was slightly scary watch Harry fight in the dark. I found myself curled up into a ball, with my hands wrapped around my legs, and a blanket over it. When the rocks exploded, I jumped so high my head almost touched the ceiling.

Deciding it was a better idea to watch a cute, smile-worthy cliché, I went through the children's channel. I had to choose between Barbie in A Mermaid Tale and Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. It was a hard choice, but I settled for the latter.

I watched as the hunter brings Snow White out alone in the forest to kill her, but he couldn't. Her beauty amazed him, and the hunter just couldn't bring out his knife. It was funny how I was watching this.

When I was seven, I wanted to be a princess. I wanted to become just like Snow White. She was smart, brave, and beautiful. The ability to talk to animals was just a bonus. I sat underneath an apple tree all day, hoping that my prince charming would find me, sweep me up in his arms, and we'd ride on his white horse along the coastline, beside the sunset.

Then, just like any other fairy tales, we would live happily ever after.

He did find me one day.