three

C h a p t er   T h r e e

The Fault in Our Stars should be banned. It is too depressing for everyone's good. I was in such an emotional wreck after reading it last night it is just not mentally possible for me to prepare myself for school today.

But parents just don't get it.

"What do you mean you can't go to school today?!" Mum screeched.

"I can't go to school like this!" I gestured my puffy eye.

"I don't see any problem." She squinted, "Except that your eyes are a little swollen today."

"Exactly."

She muttered 'teenagers' so quietly I almost missed it.

"You're going, and that's the final decision."

"But mum," I argued.

"Not buts."

"Fine." I grumbled under my breath, "Tell Blake I'll be ready in five minutes."

I forced myself upstairs, opened my closet, and then sat on my neatly folded sheets.

If I locked myself in here will I be able to avoid school?

Knock.Knock.

"What?" I shouted impatiently.

"It has been five minutes." Blake called.

"Then give me another five."

"Unless you want to be late on your first day back, sure."

"Blake," I jumped out of bed, "I just need five more minutes to..." My mind searched for all possible responses and instantly came up with an instantaneous lie, "Find something at least presentable to wear."

"Don't you have a closet full of them?"

Yes. But I really don't want to go. And all of my clothes look extra ugly today.

What was I thinking when I bought these?

I let out an unattractive groan.

"I'm coming in." He said after a few seconds of silence.

Before I could protest, he let himself through the door. "Let the pro find you something."

"What pro?" I joked.

He rolled his eyes in reply and threw me a hideous green top with red shorts that obviously didn't match. I don't even know why I got them in the first place.

I tossed them back and grabbed a simple white tank and floral shorts instead, earning a protest from my lovely brother. "Hey! It took me a while to decide on that outfit!"

I snorted, "try harder next time."

"Next time huh." I have a feeling that he had already started planning it in his mind.

"Okay, now get out so I can change."

He pouted in a way it was obvious that he was just kidding around, "Why can't I stay? We used to change in front of each other when we were younger."

"Pervert," I muttered. 

"Oh and Elliot," his eyes softened. "It's not really about the eyes and clothes, is it?"

"Hm?" But I know what he was talking about; the reason why I was avoiding school.

"Come on El, we both know what's bothering you."