Chapter 1: The Dark Moon

[ c h a p t e r  1 ]

Kelsey

"My friends..." Araya sighed. "I don't think you're aware of your poor timing. Do you know what the dark moon is?" She finished.

"The part of the lunar phase when the moon is least visible in the sky." I said answering the question. My hands were on the table in front of us. On the table there were a few radios.

"But do you know its meaning?" Araya asked again.

"Some people say it's a time of reflection. Or grief." Lydia talked this time.

"Grief and loss, mi hija. I wonder why, when you and your friends have suffered so much loss, you would risk it again for someone like Derek Hale." She smirked. Ugh. I hated that woman.

"'Cause we don't like to lose." Stiles mumbled.

Suddenly one of the men's radio started speaking.

"Front door clear - South clear "

"North?" That guy asked. No one answered him.

"Norte. ¿Dónde está el norte?" Severo asked, in Spanish.

No answer, again.

"Stiles." A radio on the table said. It was Scott. "Take 10 off the table."

Stiles took one of the amounts of money on the table.

"Maybe you should just take the deal." I spoke irritated. Okay, I just hated her.

"While I'm keen to follow the warning of a Banshee, I'm going to have to decline." She glared at me.

"Really? Just give us Derek. You don't want him anyway. Haven't you noticed what a downer he is? No sense of humor, poor conversationalist. Just come on, take the money." And with that Stiles has ruined the negotiation thing.

"Severo?" She said at the radio. "Show them how the Calaveras negotiate."

Flashback: Beacon Hills animal clinic.

"Ok, so how long has it been?" Stiles asked.

"Weeks. He hasn't gotten back to any of my texts." Scott sighed.

"Has Derek ever returned your texts?" Kelsey asked him.

"Once. Definitely once." He began to explain "But this time it felt different. So I went to the loft. The alarm was on. Everything looked okay. But then I found these." He pulled out a bullet. "So I sent a picture of it to Deaton. He said that it's the mark of a family of hunters based out of Mexico. The Calaveras."

"What would they want with Derek?" Stiles asked.

"You don't think they killed him, do you?" Lydia said, looking first at her sister and then at the boys.

"I... I don't know. That's why you're here." Scott stuttered.

Lydia and Kelsey took the bullets.

They were paralysed.

"Lydia, Kelsey, what? Is he dead?" Stiles asked.

"No. But I'm not sure he's alive either." Lydia whispered looking down.

"What does that mean? Kelsey?"

"I don't know. There's something not right. I just... I don't know." She whispered too.

"So if the Calaveras have him, how do we find them?" Stiles thought aloud.

"Mexico." Said finally Scott.