Five|The Start Of Something New

"Though what do we do?" Cody questioned throwing his head back and speaking to the sky. I had changed my position and lay down on the bench with my head in Cody's lap while my feet stuck out. I look at the sky to search for any hidden answers.

"We could run away?"

"No, bad idea cause my parents would chase your ass down."

"Right, how about I marry you?" Cody said running his finger through my pin straight black hair.

"Cody, we are 16 and that's not happening." I thought longer and harder for some other idea but what other possibilities would require me to get away from my parents

"How about they place me under adoption?"

"That would give them the privilege to ship you off somewhere across the country." 

I sighed but still remained calm, "How about you get emancipated?" This was a great idea! I sat up and talked to Cody about plans to get it done, we made a couple phone calls before we called it a day. I had an appointment tomorrow with my parents in court to file for emancipation and hopefully this goes down without a fight.

Last night things got out of hand till the point where I wasn't able to take it anymore, when I got home I spoke to my parents who still were very angry with me and when I told them about emancipation they looked like they were going to hurt me because I was choosing Cody over them but they agreed with my decision. Cody and I talked for hours through text messages trying to figure out how and what I was going to say in court today. Though today was the day that I had a chance to get my freedom, I got dressed formally and headed out before my parents but before I left I took one last look at the house because I knew I was walking out with memories of my childhood and when I was going to come back I would be a woman. I jumped into my car driving to the courthouse with my parents driving closely behind me. At the court house I was greeted by the most important people in my life Sasha, her mother who was technically my mother too, Cody, Alli, Tom and their parents Brad and Angie who in the last month of treated me like their own daughter, I even call them Momma and Dad. I greeted Cody with a kiss which my parents threw a disgusted look at causing rage to once again bubble inside me but this time I held off on the yelling. I walked through the courthouse hand in hand with Cody until we reached a room that held the future for me. This was it I could walk out of this courtroom as a teenager who just got emancipated from her parents or I could be the girl who lost just because her parents don't approve of her boyfriend.

As we walked into the empty courtroom I felt pressure I had never felt before, my feet slowly dragged to the front where a female judge awaited our arrival, I needed to do this without any fail because if I fail now I will look like a failure in front of my parents and I will be proven a failure when it comes to love. “Samar Kapoor?” the judge spoke at a loud volume; no one in the room had ever heard my last name except Sasha and my parents. I nodded and waited for the further questioning, “So you are here for emancipation from your parents?” “Yes your Honor.”

“May I know the reasons for emancipation?”

“1. Lately I have not been getting along with my parents, I have been leaving my house late at night because of the stress they have been giving me 2. They do not approve of my relationship with my boyfriend just because he is not from my religion or culture, and because they don’t approve they are forcing me to be someone that just wants to do bad things and 3. Also because of my work I have to travel around the country and I don’t think I will able to do that because my parents have work and it’s really hard for me to travel when my parents can’t come with me.” I explained and I wasn’t lying one bit. The judge nodded and took notes on what I was saying, “So have you made any living arrangements if you should get emancipated?”