Shadows in the Darkness

Holy Moly, dis is a long one...

Enjoy!

Shadows in the Darkness.

“Brace yourself!” A tall woman ordered, diving backwards as a small wooden plank exploded next to her. The man dressed entirely in white ducked per her instructions, covering his head as debris fell from the ceiling above him.  

He quickly stood up, brushing the bits of rotting wood off his white jacket before raising his small flashlight.

“Fat load of good that’ll do…” The woman said quickly before pulling a small black box out of her satchel bag. She held it out in front of her and waited, holding her breath before searching through the shadows around the run down shack around her. The man slowly lowered his arms, looking around also before brushing a small splinter of wood off his jacket.

He looked over at his companion, watching as her eyes scanned the small staircase next to her. The dirty staircase matched the rest of the worn down house around them.  Although, house wouldn’t be a word many would use to describe the surroundings around the pair. Rotting wood and trash littered the small old building that looked like the slightest breeze could turn it into a pile of rubble. The man tightened his grip on the flashlight, wanting to leave this building in his rearview mirror, ready to run incase the wind picked up.

His companion on the other hand, hadn’t moved from her position, eyes focused and unrelenting.  Her dark blue eyes studied the small shapes of the shadows surrounding the small sitting room they were in.

With out warning, her entire body, once in suspended animation, snapped into action. Her friend only saw a blur as she whipped the black box upward before holding it outward.  The toggle switch was depressed before a stream of blinding light shot outward towards the floor. Her thin glasses quickly automatically polarized as the light illuminated the entire room, revealing the cold snow falling to the ground outside.

Her partner didn’t know whether to block his eyes from the burning light or cover his ears to drown out the screaking sounding through out the house. Seconds passed before the glare slowly lessoned before plunging the room back into its usual darkness.

“Did you get it?” The man asked, unstopping his ears and noticing the screaming had ended. His comrade slowly held up a finger and pressed it to her lips. The still smoking black box loudly crashed into the floor before the woman slowly moved around the room, watching and waiting quietly.

A split second passed before her eyes snapped open wide, watching in fear as a dark blur slowly drifted towards them.

“No,” She muttered before digging through her satchel and grabbing a large flashlight before turning it back behind her. She knew it would stop the blur but not for long.

“What are you?” She muttered aloud, watching the shadow in the middle of the room slowly grow larger. She waited before her eyes snapped open in fear again as the blur rushed forward towards them.

“Run!” She yelled before turning back. If it were possible, her eyes would have opened even wider, staring at the new intruder.

“Duck.” A simple command. She didn’t hesitate dropping to the floor as the new comer quickly lobbed a small white disk. It hit the floor next to the blur before exploding, illuminating the room with an intense light, casting out every shadow in the house, except one. The scream was unbearable, sending a chill down the woman’s spine. As soon as it appeared, it vanished.

“It won’t be gone long,” I said quickly, leaning down and helping the woman to her feet.

“What was that? What is that creature? And who are you?” The man stammered out as the woman got back to her feet. She looked at me, interested in the answers as well. I only grinned widely.