Chapter One: Changes

And here it is! The story you all have been begging for for forever! Can You Keep a Secret's Sequel!

Yes, it's short, but that's necessary for me. If I keep the chapter's short and sweet, then writing it will be easier and save me from writer's block.

And, fair warning, some things in the story have changed, so don't be all "GRAWRR YOU WHORE!" because it was bound to happen~

So, before you ask, the side picture is something to give you an idea of what Deserae looks like now(:

Anyway, enjoy(:

                                                            ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The bell rang and I jerked up, looking around frantically. "He's lying!"

Miranda, my supposed best friend, erupts into hysterical laughter. "Really, D?" she snorts, holding her stomach as the laughter continues. "It's Thursday, babe. Your dad's trial isn't until Monday."

"Shut up," I grumbled, pushing myself into a sitting position.

She snickered, ignoring the glare I shot at her as I bend over to get my bag. "This is why you need to sleep at home. You know, that huge place you and I share with Val? The one with the nice, big bed you have all to yourself?"

I sighed and stood up, pulling the Lady Gaga bag on my shoulder. "I get it, geez. It's not like you don't have your own freaking bed yourself, you know. And if you want to share, feel free to invade the room sometimes. Company is always welcomed."

"I am not a replacement for Mason," she jokes, pulling her hair into a short ponytail.

Another sigh managed to escape at his name. Has it really been three years since he left? It feels like just yesterday he was standing at the head of the classroom, passing out papers and snatching up threats from snobby girls.

I guess if there was any consolation, even with him gone, things still managed to move along.

Miranda had managed to reach just a few inches shorter than Val, coming to the woman's chin now (much to Valery's amusement). She had let her hair grow out to its natural, chestnut color, but kept it near her shoulders in length (claiming it was easier to take care of that way). She was slowly turning into another Valery, however – the short jeans and tight, bright blue tank-top coming straight from Val's closet.

Like her, I had let my natural hair color come back, getting rid of the colorful streaks except for a few stray reds and purples trailing near my ends. My dark hair wasn't as fun or different as my old hair, but it was easier to take care of, even at the length. Personally, I didn't like short hair (it didn't look good on me), so I kept mine long, falling to my lower back, and let my bangs curve a little over my right eye. Instead of the revealing outfits Miranda and Valery enjoy, I stuck to my comfortable, worn-out jeans and a red long-sleeve.

"Plus, what's the point in sleeping with you if you don't sleep," she continued, pulling me from my thoughts. "Don't think Val and I haven't noticed that your light is on almost all night."

"Sorry. I'm trying, but it's hard. Trying to keep up with Mr. Sutton's busy schedule and still studying for the exams coming up at the end of next month, not to mention the mountain of homework the teachers keep giving, I'm completely swamped."

It was her turn to sigh. "I know," she said sympathetically, "but Val and I will always be here for you. I told you I'd let you copy my homework."

"Thanks, but I don't pay attention in class; homework is the only way for me to tell what's going on. If I don't at least do that, I'll never pass the exams."

"You'd think they'd go easier on you," Miranda commented. "I mean, shit, how many college classes do you have?"

"Four."

"Damn." She shook her head. "I don't know how you can keep all this up.

"Talent, that's for sure," I muttered. "My college classes aren't really a problem at this point, though. My teachers at the university are pretty understanding."

"That's one good thing, I guess," she said thoughtfully. "Can't believe you're already almost finished with your first year of college and you're only a senior."

"We're seniors now, M," I repeated, looking at her as she pushed open the doors. "We're eighteen. I can't believe it's been three years already."

And he still isn't back yet. Sigh.

"Hey, no making that face." Miranda reprimanded.

I rolled my eyes. "I can't help it."

She raised an eyebrow. "Thinking about him again?"

"Thinking about who?" Valery popped out of nowhere, linking arms with Miranda.

As usual, Val was dressed in a green, strapless dress that looked more like a second skin than clothing. It barely covered her butt, trailing to her upper thigh, with dark pantyhose covering her long, tan legs. The black, platform heels made her look extra tall today, causing Miranda to grimace.

"Wearing heels is cheating, Val," Miranda whined.

She smirked. "There are no rules, my dear Miranda. So, who was Dez thinking about?"

Miranda returned her smirk. "Her missing lover."

"He is not my lover," I argued.

"Oh ok, so you're telling me that you miss your English teacher because of his teaching skills?" she said sarcastically, snorting.

"Of course she does!" Val winked. "He gave her special, after school lessons, remember? She was his favorite student, after all."

"I completely forgot about his extra lessons! What were they called again?"

"Sex Education." Val snickered.

"Kissing 101."

"Chemical Reactions between Two People."

"Kinky–"

"Okay, I get it!" I cut them off. "Jesus Christ. Don't you two ever just shut up?"

"Nope," they popped at the same time, laughing.

"I hate you both," I grumbled, crossing my arms.

"Cheer up, Deserae~" Val sang, draping her other arm around my neck. "I have a surprise for you when you get home from your appointment~"

"Now I'm really scared," I muttered.

"Hey! That's so mean!" she whines.

I chuckled a little, getting into the Mustang.