Chapter 4

Chapter Four

The Cat-and-Mouse Game 

I didn't say anything after his declaration because, to be completely honest, what exactly was available for me to say?

"Ahahahahahahaha no," That didn't seem very classy.

"No thanks," That was classy, just probably not very appropriate for my situation. I could call him insane, scream and shout with everything I had, but it was virtually pointless. He was the President of the United States and if he wanted me here because he believed that I could be changed into a destructive monster, than this is where everyone would try to keep me. 

No matter how crazy the man was, he did sign all their paychecks. 

"You're silent, my dear. Deep in thought?" he leaned forwards in his seat as he asked this, clasping his hands in front of him professionally and I had to fight off the urge to flinch away. 

"Something like that," I murmured back uncertainly. I couldn't be sure of this man's temper; I already knew his mental state was out the window. A faint beeping echoed around the room and I followed his eyes as they glanced down at his watch, his wrist twisting so that he could read it better. After, he stood with a quiet sigh and I watched with apprehension as he fixed his suit, adjusting his tie. 

"That's my cue, sadly." He gave me a smile, one which I refused to return, before continuing. "Kate and her team are going to come in and make sure your body is... ready, fully, for the transformation." My eyes widened at his words and without my permission, I found myself speaking.

"I thought you already said my blood was the only type to match up!" I insisted, lurching towards him slightly only to be brought back down harshly by my restraints. 

"Well it is! You're blood type is perfect, we just have to make sure your body is fully placed; the transformation, I've heard, is quite troublesome as it. We can't have a silly thing like a blemish stopping it, can we?" he chuckled lowly at himself, tilting his head to me and striding towards the door, leaving me even more baffled behind him.

Just what sort of blemish was he referring too?

The door didn't even get the chance to swing shut fully behind him before it was opened again, the same black haired woman strolling quickly through the door as two men and another girl hurriedly scrambled after her. I had to hand it to her, the confidence she carried was impressive; however, she could do with a little less cockiness.

She turned abruptly on the people who were following her, a hand cocked on her hip and an eye brow raised. "What are you doing? You know what to do, so get started!" she snapped harshly, shooing them away with an annoyed expression on her sharp face. They instantly scurried over to me, the two men standing at my sides and one of them unstrapping my left wrist so that it was free. Before I could rub it affectionately in order to gain back some feeling, the other woman in the room snatched it into her own hand.  

Her well-manicured hand wrapped around it, her fingers pressing hard into my pulse as she glanced at her watch. After a second of silence, she released me and the one of the men, the taller of the two, immediately strapped it back down. 

"What's going on?" I questioned as they all took a step back, the black haired woman from before- or Kate, I'm assuming- waltzing up to me with a small round container in her hand. She gave me a sickly sweet smile, one that made my stomach flip in suspicion before answering me.

"Oh, nothing really; just a small examination," She replied innocently, fake kindness dripping from her voice; it made me cringe. 

"What are you examining for?" I asked now, genuinely curious. I'd always had a curiosity for medication and nursing and had always had a sneaking suspicion that the government was hiding some of their best medical tools from everyday doctors.