Chapter 3

The Supernatural

I remembered slowly coming to, being awoken by the quiet mumbling of a female voice and a bright light that flashed behind my lids. I wasn't coherent at the moment, but my brain was slowly starting to stir. My memories all seemed so blurred and inaccurate, making me wonder if any of them were true or something my memory simply concocted.

The inside of my head was filled with jagged snips and pieces of images; it made me dizzy even though I had yet to open my eyes, pictures flying by at high speeds. I recalled playing board games with my parents, that horrid dream I had experienced... but not much after. I finished playing games with my family... and then what? It was all colorfully fuzzed.

"...shows the most promising signs yet. Yes, of course... locked down tight... begin process as soon as he's seen her..." I was able to snag a few snippets of the current conversation happening in the same room as me. I assumed the woman I heard was speaking on the phone considering I could only hear one side of the discussion.

"... yes, right here on file... Dustine Layla Gregorsen," I stirred slightly at the sound of my own name, quickly realizing that the voice speaking was unfamiliar. I continued to listen silently as the female in question rambled off information about me. As she informed the other person about my age and where I had come from, her voice steadily began to increase in volume, letting me know that she was approaching. I curled my hands into fists as I heard her near, her crisp, snappy voice placing me on the edge; it wasn't a voice I trusted, especially in my current position. Her tone was bitter and cocky, not painting me a very pretty picture.

She went silent at my movement, and I tensed up even more. "I'll contact you later, I was told to notify him as soon as she awakened." I held my breath as it became silent.

"Might as well open your eyes, I know you're awake." She clipped as I felt her brush against me when she walked past. I snapped my lids back, quickly narrowing into a glare as I directed it towards her. Short, thin, and sharp would be the best way to describe her. She had black, perfectly cut hair that ended at her chin and was completely straight. Her eyes were not much lighter than her hair and they both contrasted sharply with her pale skin.

"But I was having such a nice nap," I replied coolly.

I watched as she typed on a computer near my head, merely rolling her black eyes at my retort. "Drug's will do that to you," She sneered back. I smiled sarcastically, making her eye me in uncertainty.

"Where am I exactly?"

"That isn't a questioned I am certified to answer." She turned, grabbing a clipboard and strolling briskly from the room unexpectedly. I blinked after her, even more confused than I had been upon walking up.

I took that opportunity to finally study my surroundings, hoping maybe I could identify my location on my own. I was enclosed in a perfectly white room, one that was much taller than it was wide. It was circular and stretched on forever in height. It reminded me of being placed in the middle of a hallow cylinder. The ceiling was glass, making me thankful for the clouds that were currently blocking the bright sun. As my eyes took in the various types of tools hanging on the walls and placed on the tables, a true terror started to sink in.

I didn't know where I was, how I had gotten there, and I was completely surrounded by sharp objects and vials filled with unidentifiable material. My mind told me I was in a type of lab, a driving force propelling me forward with that discovery. I didn't necessarily care where I was, but I cared about why. I gasped as I tried to jerked up again, letting out a gasp when I felt something strong restricting my chest. I glanced down frantically, my eyes meeting with the brown material that was stretched tightly across my chest, keeping me placed firmly on the cot.