Chapter 29

The reception was just as glamorous as the actual wedding itself – napkins that folded into the shape of swans - a jazz band playing soft music in the background – long tables draped in white linen - it really was perfect – a little over the top but still perfect.

‘Excuse me Madam – your seat is over here.’

I followed the waiter’s lead.                  

There were name cards placed onto each table -  spotting mine I sat down and eye balled my surroundings – it was strange being the first one in my seat – but the ambient theme had a calming effect on my mood – that was until I saw Scott’s name in black bold writing!

Then Poppy’s and of course, Josie’s!  I waved my index finger in the air- ‘Excuse me Sir! But I need to swap places. I can’t sit here.’ I shouted over to the waiter who was now at least ten feet away.

He gave me a funny look, muttering something under his breath as he continued to walk away. I noticed other people enter the suite and the tables were starting to fill up.

It wasn’t long before Poppy pounced out of nowhere. ‘There you are! I thought you were still at the church. Who did you get a ride with?’

‘I don’t know – one of the bride’s cousins I think.’ I replied, hiding my sweaty palms under the table.

And then came the inevitable moment – – when the world is silenced and everything plays out in slow motion, captivated by another’s presence – hypnotically scarred by an unreality that we silly humans, foolishly call’ fate’ – a word that has crept into millions of films and books – seducing us into a false belief that if you so happen to be in the same place at the same time as your heart’s desire – it’s somehow meant to be; it’s written in the stars – the universe has spoken – he’s yours! I bet you Steven Spielberg didn’t believe in fate – especially when he directed the first Jaws movie. Imagine the script ‘I’m so sorry a thirty foot shark happened to be in the same waters as your little girl and gobbled her up – let’s put it down to fate.’

‘Hi’. They both said in unison, as they sat down at the table.

 My throat had tightened but I still managed to squeeze out a very strained. ‘Hi.’

Poppy grabbed the menu in front of her, and made a joke which I guessed was her attempt to diffuse the inexplicable tension – ‘Fish eggs, darling. Would you like fish eggs?’

I too, scanned my menu – anything not to look at ‘the others’ sitting opposite me. But unlike Poppy I couldn’t think of anything funny to say.

‘So how are you Jen?’

Feeling like gravity had pulled me back into my chair – I Cleared my throat, acknowledging him briefly, before going back to scanning the menu. ‘Good thanks.’

 ‘Did you get the flowers I sent you a few weeks ago?’

‘Flowers?’

‘Yes, flowers. I sent them to the theatre on the opening night of your show.’

‘Oh, right. Yes I got them thanks.’ The words on the menu now appeared blurry – but I still didn’t dare look up.

‘Finally, she says thank you.’

‘SO’ interrupted Poppy. ‘What’s everyone having?’

‘What do you mean by that?’ I blurted out – this time, staring directly at him.

Poppy was still gassing on. ‘I’m thinking of having the roasted lamb with mint infusions.’

His hazel eyes appeared to sparkle against the light of the flickering candles. ‘I think you know what I mean.’

‘No I don’t actually. Why don’t you enlighten, me.’

He folded the menu neatly in front of him, and took a long sip of table wine – it was hard to focus because of a loud carfuffle behind us and suddenly we were confronted by a red-faced waiter. ‘Oh my God, it’s a catastrophe - a complete catastrophe!’

‘What’s going on?’ asked Poppy.

‘It’s the bride! She’s gone missing – they have been looking for her for almost two hours!’

It was strange because we all got up from our chairs at the same time – shocked by what we were hearing. ‘Where’s the groom?’

‘His family are consoling him as we speak.’

Scott worked his way through the table and chairs, facing our bemused circle. ‘So what’s the plan? Are people out looking for her?’ he asked.

‘Yes! But you don’t understand, her family are threatening to sue!’

‘Sue?’

‘Yes! Sue! They paid extra for security cameras to be installed and the bloody things don’t work!’

The poor attendant’s face was becoming very red and puddles of sweat ran down both sides of his cheeks. ‘Here, have some water.’ said Scott - handing him a glass.

The guy patted the top of his head with a napkin, managing to get most of the sweat but it kept reappearing. ‘Can you help?’ he looked at all of us in turn.

‘Sure we can!’ said Poppy. ‘Right, we need to split up! Josie and I will go in my hire car – and you two.’ She said pointing at Scott and I. ‘You will take Scott’s car. There’s no time to waste. Chop, chop.’