Chapter 6

Chapter 6

I woke up to the sound of running water, which led to my ears perking in excitement. If I had learned anything in training, it was that finding running water in the woods was the best thing. It provided water and food, and could lead to civilization. In this case it would lead to the males pack house, so it would also lead away from the pack house, which is where I would be taking it. With any luck most of the females wouldn't have thought of this.

The thought was almost laughable, most of the females in this arena were hoping to find their mate. They were willing to take the risk. If I had the option I would make it out without being killed or finding a male who decided to claim me. I just want to be able to go back to my parents and stay in my old pack. So hiding out was my best option until the gates opened again.

But I'm not some stupid, lovesick pup. I know the reality of this stupid game. I would be killed in all reality. But hell if I can't at least try to get out of this hell whole with my body and mind intact.

And even if I did find my mate, who was to say they we would be the perfect happy mate and love me forever. They could be abusive, and who is to say a mate is perfect for you. I've heard it's supposed to be, but that may not be true.

I heard the cliche snapping of a stick and realized the rant I had been having in my head had gone on a bit too long, and I had not been being aware of my surrounds.

Maybe in regular day life that was okay, but in the arena that could be deadly. I looked below me to see two wolves walking in either side of the small creek. From their scent and size it appeared as though they were both male, but I couldn't tel for sure from how high I was in the tree.

Despite the fact that I was up I'm the tree in my wolf form, the snow helping me blend in, I was wary of the fat that these wolves were right under me. If the wind blew in just the wrong way they would be able to smell me in an instant. They would no doubt be required to take me to the packs cabin, to be sure I was not the mate of some wolf before I was killed.

I stayed perfectly still, there would be nothing I could do to control the weather, but I could do my best to not make any sounds. They continued past me, not making any movements that clued me into that fact that they had any suspicions.

At this point, I wasn't exactly sure how to proceed. I couldn't get down, in fear that they would hear me, I didn't particularly want to move at all. I had no way of knowing how far they had gone, or if they had stopped just a few feet away from me.

After 20 minutes or so I decided I had to take my chances, I couldn't smell or hear anyone around and I didn't want to waste any time getting to the edge of the arena. I started my decline down the tree slowly in case I heard anything, but I was clear all the way down.

With my backpack filled with supplies in my mouth, I ran deeper into the woods, as far away from the pack house as possible. However, I had only run about 5 minutes before I heard noises that made me flew into a tree once again.

There was a long line of women in a straight line, and a male was taking each ones scent one by one, sending each one to the back of the line until it seemed as though he had reached back where he had started.

"Beta! How many women did you say we're sent into this arena? We have at least half of them here! My mate should have been found by now." The speaker was tall and muscular, if I had to make my best bet I would say it was the same Alpha I had seen previously. Unfortunately I wasn't close enough to get a scent, or see much in detail. But that also meant they couldn't do the same with me.

The males around him and the Beta were taking their turns scenting the women, some finding mates and others tossing women to the back of the line again. It seemed so uncalled for, the harshness of it all. But that's what happened when unmated wolves were around unmated women, animal instincts kicked in.

"Listen!" The Alpha shouted over the turmoil.

"I want every inch of this arena scouted. I want every female scented and claimed, or killed. But every woman found is to be brought time first, whether you think she is your mate or not. Finding the Luna is the priority. Understood?"

Numerous accounts of "Yes, Alpha" arose through the group, even a few women joining in.

The Alpha and Beta walked towards to pack house and I could vaguely hear them as they walked.

"She's near, Beta, my wolf feels it."