Chapter One

It was really cold outside and I was really tired. I knew a coffee could fix both of those problems, so I parked my car and walked into Starbucks and got a medium. Damn, those prices keep getting higher and higher.

I sat down at the table by the window so I could observe. I wasn't much of a talker, let alone socializer. But I was very observant and having 20/20 vision totally helped.

There was a man across the street in a black winter coat with what I presumed was his son by his side. In the man's hand was an envelope and the boy had his hands stuffed inside mittens.

I also observed an elderly lady slowly walking up church steps.

And that's when it hit me that it was ten o'clock on a Sunday morning. Great. My first term paper is due tomorrow and I haven't even started it.

I needed another coffee.

As I took my place in the growing line of people waiting to get their daily morning dosage, I checked my iPhone for any messages and sure enough, my best friend Monica, always having the craziest idea said: hey, I was thinking that maybe we could start the band again and make some money during school.

Back in high school, me, Monica, and our friends Alex and Oliver were in a rock band called Wonderland. It was poking at my name, Alice, and the movie Alice In Wonderland.

I sang and played rhythm guitar, Monica played bass, Alex drummed, and Oliver played lead guitar and backed with the vocals.

We played at school events and at some local venues in our town, but when we graduated, we went our own ways.

But apparently Alex and Monica had been jamming together when they met up with Oliver and magic happened.

Me: that'd be rad. but do we have time?
Monica: duuh. winter break is coming and so we can practice and write new stuff during break and come back ready to play.
Me: i say let's do it. would be a lot of fun!

Before I could read her reply, it was my turn to order. After I got my second cup, I sat back down and immersed myself into observation again.

It was snowing lightly, and the snow was beginning to accumulate on the branches of trees and on the cars. As it got heavier, and people began to pour salt on the ground, I realized that all I'd been doing was watching.

I then proceeded to finish my coffee and walked out of the store.