Chapter I: Welcome to Midgand, Mr...?

The night was utterly still, silent like a held breath. The ageless moon glimmered brightly as the Sanguine, the crimson longship of the far-continent was sailing in the calm waters of Midgand. The ocean's surface glowed with sea sparkle in bright blue light. A lone man let out a prolonged sigh as he gazed over the sea through his cabin window on the ship.

He picked up a leatherbound journal from the nightstand beside his bed and seated behind a nearby table. He flipped the journal open. Smelling the salt in the air and feeling the boat creak under his feet were his daily experiences since his journey began a few months ago. He turned the screw on the lantern that was near the table, turning it on. His features glowed visibly by the light; The lush, blond hair was coiffed over his shoulders to perfection. His eyes were pale green, like the hue of spring; bright and soft all at once. But a deep and distant gloom waved behind them.

He dipped his pen in an inkwell and started writing on a blank page.

"From the Veritable and Staunch Accounts of Sir Avernus Diphda, valiant Knight of the Hyland Empire." He stopped as a sudden rumble shook the ship for a moment, eyes darting around the room. "...I have been sailing the ocean for two months before I finally arrived at Midgand waters. If lady fortune smiles at me, maybe I..."

"Having trouble sleeping, your majesty?" Avernus was interrupted by the captain of the ship who was standing in the door frame. A middle-aged man, long gray beard, wearing a blue and gold outfit of the Hyland navy, holding a bottle of rum in his hand. His tired eyes sank into his sockets. "We're already there. Although, I have a bad feeling about this, kid."

Avernus pinned his pen in the inkwell. "Yeah. You and me both, captain. Besides, I can't stop thinking about home." He crossed his arms over his chest, glancing back at the ocean through the window. "I hope I can find something in Midgand, otherwise..."

Avernus trailed off into the distance, thoughts hazed by a deep sadness. A sadness that he carried from the far continent deep in his heart. The captain cast an appraising eye over his equipment beside him; a long silver scepter that was leaned against the wall, an ornamented wooden chest, and two daggers in their sheathes. He favored Avernus with a nod of approval.

"Aye. It seems you've come prepared, lad. Your foresight will serve you well."

With that, Avernus noticed grey clouds slid in to cover the moon. Another rumble rocked the ship. Suddenly dread tightened in his stomach. "Something doesn't feel right..."

The captain took off towards the deck, and Avernus followed, picking up his scepter and darted out of his cabin.

"Report!", the captain yelled.

Suddenly they found themselves amidst a brewing storm. Shouts filled the air as the crew rushed about the deck.

Avernus felt the air getting thickened by malevolence; the corruption that took form emanating from the daemons; hellish creatures that roamed the earth, seeking to kill and feast on humans and malakhim.

The captain gestured at the front mast as it appeared to be damaged. "Look to the prow! If we don't fix her up, we'll be feeding the fishes!"

A violent gust of wind swept across the deck, throwing the sailors and slamming some into the mast and wooden walls. Avernus braced himself against the railing and raised his hand. "I don't have a malak with me, but I'll be damned if I'm gonna die here." A red, glowing sigil of magic circulated his wrist like a crimson bracelet. It scratched his cuff, and the blood that came out turned into a sliver trickle of mana.

"Heaven Bright!"

Rainbow-like magic raced out of his fingers and spread above the ship. The churning sea grew still for a second, but it didn't last. The whole boat lurched on the choppy waters again. Avernus slammed his arte into his surroundings again, trying to blast the clouds and winds away. "Can you just, like, chill?!"