Chapter 6: The Williams

Strike:

Having the afternoon meal at Samira's quarters with her family was excruciatingly tense.

The total opposite of our family gathering.

It was silent, punctured only by a question from either the mother or the father. The sister was obviously trying to flirt with me and my brother.

Even now, she seems to be getting too touchy because while Samira was answering her father's question, I felt a small hand stroke my thigh.

My brother, who was seated beside our lady stiffened as well and held my gaze as if to inquire what was annoying me. I closed my eyes in frustration as I put my hand under and detached Julia's daintier hand from my thigh.

I gave the human female a cold stare that did not seem to faze her because she just continued to smile at me like an "idiot" as to how Samira would say to me.

"So why are you two having dinner with us? " Julia's sugary voice made Samira looked up from her plate.

"They are here because of an announcement I will be making after dinner," she answered.

"Why not tell us now dear sister? Unless of course..." her voice was provoking yet sweet. "It might be something that will upset our family?"

Samira's parents who were oddly quiet looked at both of us and then at her.

"I have been wondering as well. This is a family dinner; These two...gentlemen should not even be here." her father said disapprovingly.

"I will explain it all after dinner father, please let us finish the food I have prepared." 

"Well! If you are sooooo dead set on making this dinner boring then I have something to say to everyone!" Julia's tone turned serious as she flashed her hand to everyone until I saw a jewel attached to her third finger. "It is official!  Derek and I are getting married!"

Somehow both parent's serious expressions turned to joy at the announcement but when I saw our lady's expression, I noticed her hands trembling and how pale she was amidst the evident smiles and how her parents were gushing over her sister's wedding news.

"Excuse me for a minute." She murmured in a pained voice as she practically bumped the table and left the living quarters faster than we could even blink.

 My brother and I both stood up to comfort her but Julia suddenly pulled at my arm.

"Let her be." her sugary voice turned ominous. " She may not like you seeing her at her weakest. I should know. She is my older step-sister."

"What do you mean by...stepsister?" Warring's question saved me from snarling at her.

"She was adopted from an orphanage in Iraq by my mother." Henry Williams explained. " When she died, we took her in. I expect she was upset because our daughter's husband to be was her former fiancee."

"Do you not care that this news upsets her?" my voice was filled with anger that it made her parents flinch.

"Why should we? She is a charity case! She isn't a real Williams." huffed the mother.

"She sends you money every month and would always think of your welfare." Warring's voice was one of quiet anger. 

"We did our duty by her and the money she sends is part of repaying us. It is a fair exchange." her father's answer was devoid of any affection for Samira, only a simple explanation of why she was required to do so.

"Don't worry, the large amount she sends will be used for my wedding with her ex...oh I should have never said that. I stole him away from her too; my weak sister -" came the sister's nasty reply.