Chapter 5

Our steps echo as we silently walk deeper into Harper's lab. Honestly though, I barely even notice. My thoughts are on Aiden, when we used to be friends with Maya and Gill. When I remember it now, it's so easy to see how terrible Aiden was being to me. Never really caring how I felt, always wanted everything to be perfect for him, and not once giving me anything I ever gave him.

But now I don't see Aiden anymore. I only see myself. And where I used to be, stands Jesse. Just like Aiden, I'm being horrible to him. And just like before, I never see it until it's too late.

I thought I would learn from Aiden, realize what it is to be a toxic friend. But no, the very things I loathed about Aiden are the very things I do to Jesse. How cruel of me? And here I thought I was actually a decent person.

"Incredible..."

Sighing, I look up. So this is what Harper's lab is like. Weird, not very organized or planned out, and really kind of off. I mean, who uses blocks like that to go together and positions them that way?

Petra rolls her eyes. "If you mean crazy Ivor, then I agree with you."

"No! I don't!" Ivor spins around to Petra. "Harper is a genius and should be treated as such!"

I open my mouth to calm them down, that this isn't helping... but then something closes my mouth. Who am I to tell them what to do? Why do I think I'm good enough for that? I obviously don't look out for my friends every well at all.

"She's clearly been alone for a long time, that'll make anyone whacked."

"She's not crazy! Only eccentric!"

Maybe I should stop them, we're wasting time just standing here. "Guys, it doesn't matter her mental state right now. We just need to figure out whatever's in here that will help us stop P.A.M.A.."

The two glare at each other, until Ivor snots and walks off. I really hope that he shakes off his anger and really does look. We basically shooting in the dark here when we don't actually have the time to miss.

Petra rubs the back of her neck. "So... can I talk to you Lukas?"

"Uh... yeah." I stamper, shocked that Petra is willing to open up. "W-what is it?"

"Jesse, I mean P.A.M.A., got me good. I can't really fight much anymore..."

Flashes of her acting strangely with her right arm pop in my eyes. "Something happened to your arm, didn't it?"

"Yep..." The warrior sighs. "It's broken, the bone might be shattered. I know we can't exactly mend it now, we can do that after we defeat P.A.M.A., but if we need to do anything that involves fighting... I'll just have to be bait or something."

"It's okay, nothing we can do about it now. Just try to figure this place out. Did you get those flowers?"

"Uh, yeah. I have no idea what they're for though, maybe we can throw dye at P.A.M.A.'s face?"

I smile, finally feeling a little lighter. "Yeah... I don't think so. But I have to agree with you, Harper doesn't seem entirely there. I wouldn't put it past her to somehow make flowers some critical part of her lab."

"Right! Out of all the things to carry with you when you're constantly in hiding, roses wouldn't be anywhere near my list."

"Hello, Harper!" Petra and I whip around towards the sudden robot's voice. "It's Margaret, so good to see you! Hope you've been well. You've got to melt that ice around your heart. You're not the one to blame!"

"Ivor..." Petra walks towards the man with me right behind. "What is that?"

Ivor rubs his chin. "I'm assuming it's another one of her 'friends'. But I don't understand it very much. It's got ice in its frame and something about it is activating the redstone down here." Ivor taps his foot against the glowing glass.