Chapter 4

"Is that... What kind of sword is that?"

I gulp and glance at Petra, noticing a few drops of sweat already glistering on her forehead. At least I'm not the only one worried about this. Facing Jesse is already hard enough, and now he has some new, probably more powerful, weapon!

"You could have made this so much easier." Jesse swirls the sword in his hand, the blazing orange handle expertly controlled by his fingers. "It is useless to defy me."

We all take steps back as Jesse gets closer to us. It's one thing to fight a bunch of red-eyed mobs or even strangers. But our friend! The one who has helped us through thick and thin and never gave up on us no matter how hopeless we were. It doesn't matter if he's not himself, I'm still attacking him! How can I swing my sword at him while looking at his face?

"You deranged heap of wires!" Petra stops retreating, planting her feet and raising her sword. "Get out of Jesse's head!"

"Strange." Jesse also lowers into a fight crouch, my heart exploding at the sight. "I don't understand why you are trying to protect your friend now when you hurt him without remorse earlier."

I freeze, hearing Petra's sharp inhale. A rock hard cube of ice plummets into my stomach. It looks like P.A.M.A. already knows how to use Jesse against us, and it hasn't even started to attack us yet. We are so dead.

Petra screams out a war cry and unleashes a fury of attacks on Jesse. But even from here I can see that she's aiming at places to weaken, but not to considerably hurt. Something tells me P.A.M.A. won't be playing the same way.

"Come on Jesse! Fight it!" Just as Petra prepares to send a powerful blow, Jesse flips backwards. Easily getting out of dodge.

"I know all your moves now. Why even bother fighting back?" Jesse stands back up properly again. I gulp but as we all ready our swords again, I pale as I see the spiders crawling all over the cavern.

Then, without any indicator, Jesse flat out sprints straight towards Ivor. My eyes barely able to keep up with him. Ivor raises his sword and Jesse slashes though it, Ivor's sword shattering as he flails backwards.

"Ivor!" I run over to the fallen potion master, holding my sword out in a means to protect him.

"Don't you see, you only delay the inevitable." Jesse slowly approaches me, sword at the ready. My eyes flicker over to Petra sneaking up on him for a second, before returning back to the cold red ones.

"Jesse's stronger than you! You won't be able to control him forever!" A lifeless smile appears on Jesse's face, before he whirls around and swings at Petra. The attack catching her by surprise.

She tries to keep up with him, but Jesse's now incredibly fast and strong and toying with our minds. Even though it's three verses one, we're at a huge disadvantage.

Waterfalls rain down from the sky, but it doesn't affect the fight at all. Petra's sword is stronger than Ivor's and so is she, but every time their blades collide, Petra is the one who staggers back. I stare, my arm quivering as I want to help my friend. But helping Petra will hurt Jesse, I can't hurt Jesse.

Within a few seconds, she's on the ground after trying to dodge a swipe to the head. It mostly missed, but I hear a gasp of pain come from her. Jesse blurs as he launches his sword at her, Petra barely evading it.

"Lukas!" I somewhat pay attention to Ivor's hiss, my mind on Jesse. "We need to stop these spiders or else we've already lost to P.A.M.A.!"

With difficultly, I drag my eyes over to Harper who's getting surrounded by spiders. This was probably P.A.M.A.'s plan all along, distracting us with Jesse. And it worked, really really well.